• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can anyone help me real quick with a rusty's add-a-leaf?

philip_g

NAXJA Forum User
I didn't get any stupid directions and have the thing half done....

I have the 1.5" add-a-leaf and am not smart enough to figure out how to make the U-bolts fit, should I just take a vice to it or? I'm trying to do it on the car.

Ordered two pair by mistake since the website doesn't specify if it's 29 bucks a spring or 29 bucks a pair :gonnablow

Would be nice if they'd post the instructions on their website. :(

philip_g said:
Alright one quick Q, am I supposed to make the OEM U-bolts fit or just get longer ones?

i'd go with longer ones or at least new ones and new nuts. i always replace them when i take em' apart just so i have nice clean undamaged threads.

philip_g said:
Alright one quick Q, am I supposed to make the OEM U-bolts fit or just get longer ones?
I'd get longer ones, even if the old ones are long enough. They're not that expensive. I've been told that you shouldn't re-use u-bolts, though I don't know enough to tell you why.

thanks guys,
figured I was going insane since the directions didn't mention it. I'll hit NAPA tomorrow and get some longer bolts and some leaf pack clamps.

At least I got a look at it on the ground and the height is dead on. Guess I'm a happy man anyway.

(the install is more of a PITA than I thought it would be, BTW)

the stock ones should be able to work.
got
images

I have replacement ones because I needed the extra length, but I took off the stock ones and put them back on probably five times before getting these, and I have taken these off and put them back on probably ten times. I wouldn't buy new ones unless you need the extra length.

The U bolt is a grade 8 bolt and nut. Specs say you can fully retorque a grade 8 bolt 5 times before replacement and the nut 3 times. That is IF the bolt/nut is a true 8er and the bolt has not been WAY over torque. This include when removing it. Or heated to the point of removing it's temper.
I have broken all the rules above and had no problems. I'm not saying it was smart of me or you should do it too.
I'm just saying when you ask a Mec or parts man or etc what to do. He/she will say replace them. Just to cover his ass in case something goes bad wrong. I was a mec and a parts man for some years and covered my sweet backside you better believe. But on forum im just Joe Blow. If you didn't have to go nuts getting them off? Reuse the U-bolts.

Last edited:
I realize the torque specs say 75 pounds, how much do you tighten these puppies? Does the top leaf completely form to the AAL or will there still be some gap?

BTW new Ubolts are 6 bucks each, a bit more than I expected, oh well.
NAPA doesn't carry straps either.

I suggest you go to a Spring shop and get the clamps and some new pads. They're cheap, so I would just replace them.

I put in the RE AAL and after a few months, they started to squeek badly. It turns out that the Spring pads are pretty worn.

Don't ya love how a simple, cheap BB never turns out simple and cheap?

Mambeu said:
I'd get longer ones, even if the old ones are long enough. They're not that expensive. I've been told that you shouldn't re-use u-bolts, though I don't know enough to tell you why.

they stretch if you take them on and off, re-tightening them over and over is the issue, but you can usually tell by a visual inspection if you would use them again or not.

gorilla_skater said:
I suggest you go to a Spring shop and get the clamps and some new pads. They're cheap, so I would just replace them.

I put in the RE AAL and after a few months, they started to squeek badly. It turns out that the Spring pads are pretty worn.

Don't ya love how a simple, cheap BB never turns out simple and cheap?

nothing on this damn thing is simple, lol

BTW what are the chances that I'll have a problem if I don't use spring clamps? or... use regular old hose clamps :)

Last edited:
philip_g said:
:D

any thoughts on the spring clamps or lack thereof?

Personally I'm not sure what they're supposed to do. Hold the pack together when it's off the vehicle? When mounted, the U-bolts should keep the pack aligned. The U-bolts and the center pin will hold them all together.

I drove mine for a while with no spring clamps and the leaves started to fan a little.

tealcherokee said:
they will fan enough to hit your tires and frame...

go ahead, ask me how i know :D

what did you use to secure them?
NAPA doesn't carry clips and gave me the # of a spring shop to have some made.

Go to Menards or your local steel supplier and get some 1/8 x 1" steel strips. Cut them down and bend them around a spring like this:

100_1296.jpg

Then get some 3/8" tubing and cut it into pieces about 2.45" long get some 1/4" bolts and nuts and such and you end up with this:

100_1298.jpg

First one took like 25 minutes 4th one took 10. Menards also has cheep center pins in thier big aisle of nuts and bolts you just have to look.

Back