• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96/97 Differences

Archdukeferdinand

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, I've found a good deal on a rear bumper and some tube doors.

Problem is i have a '97 and they're all for 96 and older.

Question is did the bumper mounting or door hinges change at all, or were the differences just that a 96 and previous bumper won't have the same provision for the end caps?

Same for the doors, did any of the mounting hardware change or was it just getting rid of the vent windows, etc?

I've got a friend with a '96 that I can check on but I won't see him for a day or two. I'm hoping someone on here knows.

I don't know about the doors, but from everyone I have talked to on bumpers the difference is just the ends. Where some 97+ bumpers have a piece to cover the lower rear quarter, and pre97 do not. Most seem to be made without this anyway so I don't think it really matters. On the front the 97+ come back to the wheel well farther, and on pre97 the fender hangs down in the front.

scoobyxj said:
I don't know about the doors, but from everyone I have talked to on bumpers the difference is just the ends. Where some 97+ bumpers have a piece to cover the lower rear quarter, and pre97 do not. Most seem to be made without this anyway so I don't think it really matters. On the front the 97+ come back to the wheel well farther, and on pre97 the fender hangs down in the front.

That's what I thought, I think the doors are probably the same situation. Anyone know for sure?

the strikers in the doors are very different, will not be a simple thing to do. The bumper will work just will not have the end caps but plenty of shops sell the rear fender gaurds. Check out rock lizard fabrication.

Back