• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

please help need transmission info

nhdieselguy

NAXJA Forum User
hi, my name is ian i live in new hampshire i found a 1994 jeep cherokee with a 4.0L its an automatic i got is for a really good deal and its already done up for wheelin, the person i bought it off of took the tans out and got a replacement from a junk yard and it was the worng one followed by the wrong t-case. the only info i have is that i need a 231NV t-case but im not sure if thats right and i dont know about the trans. the truck is not a full time 4 wheel dirve either. the thing that is throwing me off is there are 2 electrical plug ins on the t-case. please help

Let's knock out the electrical question first (it's the easier question):

One should be back on/near the rear output, and is where your speedometer is getting its signal from. The other should be around the front of the case (if memory serves), and comes off of the vacuum switch that turns the "part time" light on the instrument cluster on and off.

Now, on to the other part:

A 94 4.0 should have come coupled to a 23-spline AW-4 automatic trans, and if the shifter bezel doesn't show "4Hi full time", it would have had a 23-spline NP231 tcase (NP and NV are two different names for the same company) on the output.

As to "needing" a 231, techincally you don't. Both part-time (231) and full-time (242) were offered on this engine/transmission combo by the factory. There may be differences in the driveshaft lengths (242 is slightly longer), but it's pretty much a bolt-on swap. The main thing to consider is that the 231 has a bit more aftermarket support.

Wrong transmission could be a couple of things:
- if he pulled it from an 84-86 model, he got a 3-speed torqueflite (chrysler) that won't bolt to a 4.0
- if he pulled it from an 4.0-equipped model that is older than this 94, he may have gotten the right transmisssion model, but the wrong spline count (IIRC, 87-92 AW4s had a 21-spline output while later models used 23-splines).
- if he simply walked in and the JY guys handed him one, it could be either of the above.

Wrong tcase could also be a couple of things:
- 84-86 models had an NP207 part-time case and an NP-229 full-time case, only compatible with the 3-spd Chrysler transmissions. Not compatible with the AW4, as far as I know.
- 87-01 models all used the NP231 part-time and NP242 full-time cases, but have a 21-23 spline split that lines up with the spline count change on the AW4 transmission.

All that being said, it would really help to know more about the "wrong" parts. The transfer case should have a round tag on the rear face that identifies what model it is, among other things. Likewise the transmission should have some identifying marks.

Is there any chance you could look these two things over and report back on what you can find?

Rob

The AW4 also had a few sensor changes after 1996. It added a front shaft speed sensor on the front drivers side and the pulses-per-rev changed on the rear sensor from 1 to 4. You could use a post 1996 tranny, but you'll have to pull the back end off and swap the rotor for the rear shaft speed sensor and use the older sensor.

Back