• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which rear bumper?

MYXJ22

NAXJA Forum User
Should I buy a Detours USA rear bumper with tire carrier,
or
a RigidCo rear bumper/Tire carrier?
or
should I just fork over the cash and get a Durango 4x4 or Poison Spyer custom???
It needs to hold my current 35 and maybe a 36 in the not to distant future.

I have an early model Durango w/tire carrier. Good bumper for the most part but with a couple drawbacks that I've experienced. Holds my 33" ok but it's not an actual "bolt pattern" style mount. Tire just slides on, then you screw it down with large metal stop. Departure angle isn't the best as the tire sits fairly low cause they wanted to minimize how much visibility it eats up. Have dragged it plenty of times on steep angle climbs. And last but not least, mine smacks the plastic molding/housing of the light bar for license plate on rear hatch of my XJ on washboard and bumpy roads and has banged it up pretty bad. Have had to patch/bondo and paint a couple of times. Other than that it's not a bad bumper, and to Durango's credit their materials and workmanship is good. But I've done a lot of research and looking lately at other options and I would go with either RigidCo or C-Rok... just my opinion. Or you can buy my Durango from me and I'll get me some new goods! :)

Just ordered JCR's rear bumper, no personal experience at this time.
Looks good with the tire carrier mounted above the bumper with a rattle proof latch.

I ordered and have a Detours bumper due to the side protection and love the look and finish. Have not gotten the bumper on yet, having problems with the gas tank skid.

But Rigidco has a mounting system that is more suportive for a Unibody set-up.

Jason

Whats up with your gas tank skid?

Once you install the SLS, your going to see just how little the bumper
relies on the unibody, "fit" is everything.
When you slide it in place, you'll be able to walk away from it and find your
bolts, thats a supportive fit.

I have the Detours on my 2000 and I love it. I looked at the RigidCo but order time was way to long. I do have the RigidCo front bumper though.

The Detours bumper is very nice. Install took a couple of hours with 3 guys. the factory nutserts for the gas tank skid caused a little issue because the bumper has a decent mounitng set-up that utilizes a couple of the holes.

The tire swing arm is a little offset, but like any rear carrier, you will lose most of the view out of the rear window. It holds my 33 with no problem. I can easily go to 35, maybe even a 37. I get very little tire shake and no rattles on the trail. Departure angle is great. The clamp system could use a little "beefing-up" and allow for a lock, but it is still a great unit.

I get tons of compliments on the bumper.

A couple of pics when I was at 3" lift and 31's:

Flex1.bmp

867548513205_0_ALB.jpg

You can see more here:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=xj7ztxt.7j31rvv1&x=0&y=-xthqf1

Thanks

X2 CRock. I like the bumper that has the curved back. Great 4 max cl. Although not shown with tire carrier, can build it for ya. :)

My concern is the mounting, I have/had (being sold) a custom 4x4 fabrication rear that tore up my frame mounts. I need something that is going to hold up the stresses of the crapy roads I travel everyday with a 35 as far as swaying and rocking the jeep goes. I like the detours because of the side protection and short swing arm, I love the mounting system of the Ridgidco. CRok is cool too but I dont really dig the look of the swing arm, seems like it would be to high for a 35 or 36.

MYXJ22 said:
Should I buy a Detours USA rear bumper with tire carrier,
or
a RigidCo rear bumper/Tire carrier?
or
should I just fork over the cash and get a Durango 4x4 or Poison Spyer custom???
It needs to hold my current 35 and maybe a 36 in the not to distant future.

Just to give you another option, fairly low cost compared most.
Rear bumper with tire carrier, $385 includes shipping. People have complained about how long it takes for him to ship, but they all seem happy with the bumper.
His seller name is tuffbumpers I think.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...d=1,1&item=8068936570&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT

The Rigid is much more adaptable to carry other things. I don't have mine that I ordered in March though. The Detours is quite nice looking. I almost ordered it before I decided the Rigid was a better fit to my needs.

That one off Ebay is Hideous in my opinion.

I would vote Rigid if you've got a way to carry your spare now. You'll need it for a while before you get your bumper.

MYXJ22 said:
My concern is the mounting... I love the mounting system of the Ridgidco. CRok is cool too but I dont really dig the look of the swing arm, seems like it would be to high for a 35 or 36.

I would say if your main concern is mounting strength and rigidity then definately go Rigid, Terry's is almost overkill

I have a Durango 4x4 rear and could not be happier. I have used it several times, even set the entire jeep on it last weekend backing off of an obstacle that shot me down.

Mine has a story to it as well. It actually came off of my friends cherokee that was totaled in a wreck. He was sitting at a stop light and was hit by a drunk at 50mph, oddly enough it was another cherokee that hit him. It F'd his jeep so bad it pushed the a-pillars forward, broke the seat dismembered the dash etc...total loss. His durango bumper looked OK, figured when we unbolted it that it would BOING into some twisted shape. Not the case, we took it off of his totaled jeep and it bolted right onto mine and looks great! The tire carrier was bent and that was a BIG ordeal to straighten but I did manage to get it repaired and have the whole package on my jeep now. Needless to say its a STOUT bumper and tire carrier.

that ebay bumper is the biggest turd ive seen on the retail market,
good example of- you get what you pay for.

junk.

I bought my bumper (sans tire carrier) from these guys. Maybe not for the hardcore, but it works for me on 2 tracks in northern Michigan. It cuts a couple inches off total length, and you can get it modified anyway you want for another couple bucks. I had them turn the ends for the 2001 and install a 2" receiver hitch.

http://www.nates4x4.com/catalog/

Anyone else running the Rigidco rear bumper. Wondering how it mounts and what else you can mount to it. The ebay one looks like junk! I like the Rigid but I also like the look and side protection of the Detours.

I hae the Durango rear XJ bumper w/tire carrier. I am leased with its design and strength. As mentioned it is heavy duty, but not good on approach angle. It holds my spare - 31" tight and the swing-out works well.
I have the Rigid front-bumper and like the design and strength of mouting to the front frame. Workmanship is good; you can speak and work with Terry. You will need to finish coat. Not crazy about the pictures, but have not seen one in person.
I have the Detours slider/stiffner and the workmanship and fit is good; Mark was easy to work with. I like the look of their rear bumper, but it did not exist when I purchased.
Hope that helps.
Steve

Back