• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8 question i couldn't find

redrider

NAXJA Forum User
i recently just purchased an 8.8 out of an 97 explorer. the thing is that it had a shock running from the carrier. whats that all about? do i just grind off the shock mount or leave it? and would it be ok to just cut the perches off the bottom and reuse them on top? thanks

Here's a picture of my 8.8 for reference. You can mark it up in paint if you need to:

IMG_1865-vi.jpg

i know what your talking about and it is fords version of an axle twist damper (sorry, cant think of the right term). you dont have to do anything with it, in fact it is cast into the housing. im leaving mine to posible tie in my own traction bar later since that provides a convienent mounting location on my axle and all i have to fab up is the mount on my crossmember which im custom making. hope that helps.

Last edited:
redrider said:
so how come i never see them on any others? i just figured i ended up with something wrong.

I think all the exploder 8.8's had them. As well as something else you will be asking about I think. The speed sensor on the upper side of the housing. That can easily be used for your vent line bu just taking a 1/2"NPT plastic barbed fitting and using the stock retaining fork to hold it in the housing.

Yeah ditch all that crap... You dont need it. And get new perches, beacuse its much easier to weld nice new well cut steel.

Word of advice... I just installed an 8.8 in a buddies XJ. He got quite a bit of extra lift in the rear due to the thicker 8.8 tubes, and the taller spring perches. In hindsight, I would have taken the grinder to the spring perches to bring the leaf mounting height down alittle bit. As it is now...we had to add some coil spacers to level his jeep out...and its still tail happy.

For the vent tube...if you are replacing an 8.25, the vent tube/brake hose bolt will work in the 8.8. Same threads, and the length is good. I installed the russell stainless line from the rubicon express kit, and that vent tube bolt worked great as a hold down.

Oh and ditch that cover ASAP! Friggin thin as paper. Even the D30 cover is more stout.

Justin

P.S... THalladay: That axle looks familiar...I think I just had a peek at that yesterday!

Are you sure your 8.8 came from an Explorer? I have an Aerostar van (4x4) with the 8.8 that has the shock mount you mentioned. On the van, I always thought it was because the rear has coils instead of leaf springs.

Back