• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Care To Double-Check My Future Set-Up?

M4Madness

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '96 Cherokee Sport with auto trans. I'm planning on lifting it in a couple of weeks or so, and have been researching the hell out of it here (I've read hundreds of search pages.) I'm going with a RE 3.5" Super-Flex kit with OME shocks. I just want someone to double-check my math to make sure I've got everything figured out correctly. It currently has 3.55 gears, but will be regeared at a later date.

If I use 31" X 10.50" tires:

Use 15" X 7" wheel with 4.5" backspacing?
Change to 32-tooth speedometer gear?
Extend all bump stops to 3" longer than stock?

If I use 32" x 11.50" tires:

Use 15" X 8" wheel with 4" backspacing?
Change to 31-tooth speedometer gear?
Extend all bump stops to 4" longer than stock?

I want absolutely no rubbing on lower control arms, fenders, flares, etc. If the 32" tires aren't very feasible (with minor work), please let me know. I do not wish to alter my factory flares. Thanks for any advice that you can offer a newbie.

With 32x11.50 here's an idea what 15x8's with 3.75" backspacing will look.
At the time, 3.5" RE super flex kit with 1.75" coil spacer and 1" shackle, no trimming as of yet (old pic)(old rig, too! lol)
I personally think 3.75" is perfect even with 10.50's, no worry of rub, especially w/the 11.50's aired down, and not too wide at all.
Definitely would cover tire with any aftermarket flare, even tj flares.
clean.jpg

If you run the 32's, youre going to want to trim your fenders.. Honestly... if you even disconnect your swaybar with this kit, and 31's, youll be amazed how far that tire will stuff up in there, you WILL rub.

There are many write-ups on how to safely move your fender lines up, and keep the 100% stock looking lines,along with flares, so do some searching, it's inevitable.

Thanks for the great photos, guys. I'd really like to get 32's under it -- will all trimming that's needed be inside the wheel well where it's not visible?

Speed racer, did it sit pretty level with a 1.75" boost in the front and only a 1" in the rear? I've heard that the Rubicon kits tend to sit higher in the rear, but don't recall an exact measurement.

No, you will need to trim right where the flare mounts to, on the outside of the body.

Its def visible, but search around, there are writeups, and it doesn't make it look bad it you do it right.

Will bump stops alone keep me from rubbing with 32's for now as long as I stay on road? I can always trim the fenders and reduce the bump stop heights for offroad use at a later date when have more time, as I have no immediate plans for trail driving. I desperately need to get new tires on my XJ (about 1/8" tread left), and I'm hoping to get my kit installed (it's enroute) as soon as it arrives. My local tire shop doesn't stock BF Goodrich tires, so I'll need to order them in the next day or so in order for them to be here when the kit arrives. If I can't run 32's temporarily, I'll have to go with the 31's.

My RE 3.5 inch kit with the full packs put me at 4.5 inches AFTER settling, i put a 3/4" spacer in the front (you will want one) to make it level. I could easily put 32's on without trimming, until i flexed it. Its a great kit, you will be happy with it!

if you stay on the street only, you might be able to clear 32's with or without bumpstoping. (unless you hit speedbumps at freeway speeds)

and theoretically if you bumpstop enough, you'll clear 31's and maybe 32's even offroad. but you'll barely have any flex, if any at all. which then kind of defeats the purpose of installing a lift for offroading.

so i would recommend either building it for the street, and not wheeling, OR

build it for street and offroad with fender trimming and whatever, OR

build it for street with bigger tires, and keep a set of smaller tires 30's or 31's for off-road and bumpstop it for the off-road tires. that way you can have the "looks" on the street, and the "function" off-road.

scorpio_vette said:
...build it for street and offroad with fender trimming and whatever...

This would be my option. I will eventually trim the fenders, but don't have the time to do so right now. I'd just like to get the 32's to work for street use only until I can do so at a later date. It sounds like this may be a feasible plan.

here are a couple pics to give you an idea of what it would like like with different scenerios.

3" lift, 31's and only the front tip of the front fenders trimmed.
washed1.jpg

same setup with the rear swaybar off and the front still connected. (it rubbed a little, but i didn't mind. if i would have disconnected the swaybar it would have rubbed more)
jeepinthefarm045.jpg

and here is the same jeep with 3" lift, 31's, NO bumpstops, front and rear swaybar disconnected and both fenders trimmed as far as i could and relocating the flares. the suspension is 100% compressed and the tire is almost 4feet in the air. there is some slight rubbing on the inside of the wheel well depending on what position the tire is at, and there is less than a 1/4" of room between the rear tire and the edge of the fender. so you can definitely run 32's or even 33's, but you DEFINITELY will have to bumpstop it.
DSC_0017.jpg

Back