• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Durango Alternator

VinceYJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have only seen a little bit of information on this topic. What would it take for me to sway a Durnago alternator into my 99 XJ? How much more power does it put out?
Thanks,
Vince

Vince -
The Durango units are spec'd for 136A max output, and are (I believe) the same size case as the OEM ND units used in the XJ.

Bear in mind that, if you want to get full output from the thing, you're going to end up having to replace the alternator output fusing (either fusible link or two MAXI60 fuses in the PDC,) since full output from the Durango will likely pop the fuses otherwise.

Apart from that, everything I've read on the subject says it's a fairly straightforward swap - no fabrication, but you may need to adjust a thing or two (you'll see when you get there.)

5-90

This was my thread when I did the same thing.

Here is what I ended up doing to get it to fit.
March27022.jpg

March27023.jpg

March27028.jpg

March27036.jpg

March27028.jpg

Not sure that I really needed it but I picked up the Durango Alt. for a good price so I went ahead and did it.... Now that I think about it I changed out this alternator for a newer one that I didn't have to hack up. The newer one was out of a newer Durango and just plugged right in. I also pulled the larger cable from the Durango to use on the cherokee.

Shows what I know - I stick to Delco, since I can rebuild them in my sleep...

Did you also upgrade your fusing in the PDC, or just the larger wire from the alternator? OEM fusing is good for about 100-120A, if you run full output, you're likely to blow the fuse. Just so you know...

I've been using ANL fuses to provide upgradeable protection paths for this - check my site for details.

5-90

ANother question...I put on a new XJ alternator...the pulley was a little larger in diameter and now my belt squeels like a whoooore and the charging will not go up to spec until it stops squeeling...problem with the pulley or with the belt?

did you double check the belt tension?

Back