• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What brand ignition coil

my65289stang

NAXJA Forum User
I tried a search but couldn't find info on specific brands. What are your experiences with different brands of coils? My ignition is stock with a new cap, rotor, plugs, and wires. 96 4.0. Local parts houses carry Niehoff-$26, Accel-$55, Borg warner-$48, and "standard"-$54. I don't mind paying a little extra if one of the more expensive ones is a better coil, I don't want to replace mine with a piece of junk.

Why are you replacing the coil. The stock one is more than good enough, even for a stroker. Some people convert to an MSD system, but you hear about a lot of problems with them. Unlike many vehicles, the ignition on the 4.0L is a pretty good system.

X2

It's likely any improvements, won't be an improvement. You'd likely use up plugs faster and possibly have cross fires. The ICM and coil are a pretty good match stock.
The only way I can see to make it any better is possibly with a larger distributor cap. But even that is unecessary, with the more than acceptable stock setup.
The plugs last forever and the only missfires are from used up distributor caps, moisture or bad cables.

I'd pull a spare out of a junker and put it in my spares box. In fact I have a coil and module out of an 87 in my spares box, along with a complete set of sensors. Even with the ECU, if you pack it right, you can get it all in a pretty small plastic tool box and carry it with you. I even pack around a spare starter, when I go wheeling. A spare CPS, is just about a must in anybodies kit.
I've had pretty good luck with Standards stuff for OEM replacement parts, Accel for aftermarket stuff. I used some Niehoff in my Chevy, seemed to work out. I've had less luck with some of Crowns stuff, but the price is right, the guarantee is solid and the stock is extensive.
I've had some issues with replacement parts on occasion. Even Jeep replacement parts. A known good used part, can be better than an unknown replacement part.

sflier said:
Odds are you'll never actually need to replace the coil for the life of the engine.

If this is the case then I won't worry about it. I was just thinking I would try to eliminate a problem before it was actually a problem. If the coil is most likely good then Ill pick one up and throw it in the "just in case bag."

my65289stang said:
If this is the case then I won't worry about it. I was just thinking I would try to eliminate a problem before it was actually a problem. If the coil is most likely good then Ill pick one up and throw it in the "just in case bag."
If money is an issue for your "just in case bag" you could get a used coil from a junkyard for less than $20.

Make sure you have a CPS in that JICB.

Back