• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4cyl 4.10 gears in my dana 30??

Tazjig

NAXJA Forum User
Well i have called every friggen wreckers around me and nobody has a front axle from a 4cyl xj, except one. The only problem is, the axle is cut off on either side of the diff. Now my question is, will the ring and pinion and carrier bolt directly into my dana 30? they are both dana 30's.i want the 4.10's because i have a 8.8 with 4.10's to go into the rear. I got a quote from the local jeep shop and they wanted $880 to gear my d30 to 4.10's.
Thanks
Andrew

Yes, as long as they are both high pinion. You'll have to set them up again, though. Might as well buy some new gears if you have to pay for the labor, though.

If you do decide to use the used gear set, make sure you measure the backlash on them before you remove it. If you don't set up the gear set with the same backlash you can get some gear noise.

How much are you paying for the center, anyway? New 4.10 gears are about 150.00 and the bearing kit is about 70.00.

ok cool, ya i will get them put in from a local garage hopefully, but i can get the gears dirt cheap, like under $50cdn. Thanks alot. I guess even if i buy them and they dont work then its only $50.

Besides checking backlash you should also pull a pattern and record the pinion depth numbers on both gear sets along with the pinion shims!

Beware, not all 2.5L's had 4.10 gears. Not uncommon to have 3.53. I've even seen 4.56's from the factory.

Gaius said:
Yes, as long as they are both high pinion. You'll have to set them up again, though. Might as well buy some new gears if you have to pay for the labor, though.

If you do decide to use the used gear set, make sure you measure the backlash on them before you remove it. If you don't set up the gear set with the same backlash you can get some gear noise.

How much are you paying for the center, anyway? New 4.10 gears are about 150.00 and the bearing kit is about 70.00.

Don't forget, if you go new you will need to buy carrier also for 4.10, most likely your's does not have right carrier for 4.10 gears. So yes the used would be a good deal if carrier included.

thanks guys, ya i would need a new carrier to get my axle geared. thats why i thought it would be a good step to get these gears because the carrier and everything is included. What would be the best way to check if it is 4.10? record the vin and call the dealer?

Back