• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

comfort questions

jb660r

NAXJA Forum User
2 questions that seem kind of strange maybe , but.....
my cherokee, only the high setting on the heater works, I have tried 3 different used switches (used because I'm cheap) and still only high works, curious if this is common. The other is, the only way to roll up and down the windows, is from the controls on the driver side, if I am going up or down, and someone pushes one of the other switches, it stops, so I believe all the wiring is ok, and also I have tried 2 other drivers window switches. Any info would be great.

A relay or vacuum would be the heating problem. The window will stop if another switch is pressed, yes. Any Chryco vehicle should, my father's
01 Caravan will do that, my friends 97 XJ will too.

There is a resistor built into the passengers side air box for the HVAC. The high setting bypasses the resistor.
You are likely going to need a diagram to troubleshoot the window problem. I had almost the same problem once, the safety switch on the drivers window/doorlock control panel was down.
Did you change out the whole switch assembly/unit or just the drivers window switch?

MoparRobbie said:
A relay or vacuum would be the heating problem. The window will stop if another switch is pressed, yes. Any Chryco vehicle should, my father's
01 Caravan will do that, my friends 97 XJ will too.
The thing is, they stop the motion while I am working the switch from the drivers, side (like it should) but thats it, they don't work to operate the window, which is what confuses me. So the wiring seems to be fine as far as the switches being connected. The part I changed is the whole drivers switch pack, all 4 switches, door lock and window lock button, I have wiggled, and tried to jump the window lock safety button, while someone was trying to work the other windows and it didn't do anything of course. I do know , when my sister had it, they all worked, and quit one at a time until none wrk like now. I think I might try to change switches on the other doors, just because I'm at a loss of what to do. As for the heater, the info Sting25 gave me is great, and I'll try that this weekend. Thanks again everyone for all your input.

On the window thing, try unplugging the motor connector, then using a pencil eraser to clean the contacts. My windows all quit on me in the middle of a down pour, so when I managed to pull in to a cave nearby, I yanked everything apart to jump the windows, and I noticed that the contacts were black from oxidation. I took a pencil that I found in the glove baox, and rubbed the black off of the contacts. Now, my windows work again. Just a thought to try before getting to involved with the switches.

mine does this too, I beleive it has something to do with the safty locks. If it was my choice I would get rid of that feature all together.

Back