• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shock Mount and Leaf Spring Bolt Question

carlton989

NAXJA Forum User
I have a couple issues with installing an RE 3.5" on my 99 XJ. I bought the Jeep with a BDS 3" lift and blocks and spacers to make it sit at 5". The previous owner moved the rear lower shock mounts up on the axle, (c 8.25) since the shocks were meant for 3" of lift and he installed the blocks.

I am in the process of installing the RE 3.5" kit with full leaves in the rear. The front was very easy, but the back is giving me trouble. My 2 questions are what is the best way to get the front leaf spring bolt out without breaking it and will the new leaf springs drop my axle down more than my stock leaves with an add-a-leaf and blocks so that I can fit my new RE shocks on or will I have to install new mounts that lower the shock mount below the axle?

The front leaf spring bolt on the drivers side will turn a little with a breaker bar, liquid wrench and a gas torch, but it starts to chirp after a quarter turn or so. I would like to avoid breaking it if possible. Should I apply more heat and liquid wrench? Also, where should I apply the heat to on the mount? The spring itself, bolt head or the frame?

This is the only trouble I am running into with the lift and any advice would be awesome. Let me know what you think. Thanks, Will

Last edited:
The bolt is more than likely siezed inside the bushing in the leaf spring. I doubt your gonna snap it, but there is a great chance your gonna have to cut up the bolt on both sides of the leaf spring to get the spring out. Just for the love of nature if you have to cut that, make sure the bolt is all the way out of the main eye nut. If not, your gonna have some serious issues...like cutting the main eye nut out and replacing it.

p.s. If you have to replace the main eye nut, dont listen to the people who tell you to cut out the floor...dumb, go through the bottom.

just a random guess but could u tap the bolt. I know I have done it on seized bolts on BMX bikes and a dirtbike. not really sure how easy it would be. or a bad idea.

There is a small hole where the springs for the parking brake cable go to in the unibody frame, you can point the torch head up there and heat up the bolt. Just be careful not to set your interior carpet on fire, the floor WILL get red hot under the rear seat. After you do that, try to heat next to the bushing without setting it on fire (its not easy) I just did this yesterday, and mine was a 94' from Upper Michigan and had never been touched. Bolts came right out and I reused them after wire wheeling. Good luck.

carlton989 said:
The previous owner moved the rear lower shock mounts up on the axle, (c 8.25) since the shocks were meant for 3" of lift and he installed the blocks.

he (the prev. owner) moved up the lower shock mounts for clearance-- the lower mounts are like boat anchors..

to fix it you'll have to settle for shorter shocks or shocks that'll bottom out at full up-travel(stuff) or relocate th upper mounts to correspond with the lower location
-ie a x-member or plate inside of the uni-frame and attatch mounts similar to those of an MJ -angled forward to allow for full shock travel..

hopefully he (th prev. owner) wasn't that silly..

btw say hello to the fresh-prince for me carlton :)

haha i was waiting to hear a joke about my name being "Will Carlton" LOL. Could I get the lower mounts a little below the axle tube with some mounts from MORE, RE or RUstys? Right now the lower mount is even with the middle of the axle. I was able to get the shock in there with it completely compressed with the add a leaf and blocks. Would the new leafs provide enough lift to get the axle away from the body? I would lose ground clearance by welding on new lower mounts, but it is street driven 75% of the time and I have a really nice set of RE monotubes that I am installing, so it woudl be easier for me to lose ground clearance and have nice shocks then have to sell the shocks and buy new ones.

Back