• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alternator ????

klennop

NAXJA Forum User
So I have a 01 Cherokee Limited that says it came with a 124 amp alternator. From what I have read this is larger than the typical one offered. Well my alternator is going out on me so I went to autozone to get a price on one. There was only one alternator option and it didn't have the amps that it puts out, so I don't know if this is the 124 amp one or the typical 117 amp one? It didn't say anywhere in the specs on the guys screen. I want the larger one because my jeep does have heated seats, etc which will drain more power than a normal cherokee will. I know I could use the smaller one but I would rather have the large one.

So what are my options here? I want the new alternator to be a direct bolt in but the higher amps the better.

Will a grand cherokee one work or one from something else?

Thanks!

Last edited:
need4speedjp said:
one word of advice dont go to autozone for anything other than oil.

I usually go there for little quick things like bulbs, etc. I was there to have them test my alternator since it is close to my house so I just had them check to see how much one was from them. However their car batteries were consumer reports pick for like the last 2 years if I remember correctly.

need4speedjp said:
one word of advice dont go to autozone for anything other than oil.

Absolutely good advise. The only exception to the rule is if you already know the part number and what it looks like. You can never trust the numb skulls there to know jack about anything

stores in my area that carry the 124 amp are napa and advanced. they say 124 amp on the oline parts screen. mike

Back