• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil pressure issues

RichP

NAXJA Forum User
My 97TJ has been getting a bit squirrley lately as well as the 98XJ with oil pressure. Initially I thought that turning the key to on and waiting a 2 or 3 count before hitting the start position would allow the system to set some baselines. Seemed to work, then sunday when heading down to NJ I took the TJ, drove all the way down with the gauge reading between 5 and 10. Tried the 'stop, shut off, turn on count to 3 then start trick' twice, no change. Got to the townhouse., backed into the garage and opened the hood, engine running at ~5psi [no check gauges light yet] unplugged the connector from the sender from its vertical position and plugged it back in. Pressure shot up to 30 at ldle and 50 at local around the complex. Pulled the connector up a tad without releasing the clip and the pressure dropped on the gauge, for sure connection issue. Plans are next week while I have it down here to unplug every connector, every ground and clean them all out, dielectric grease them and then see if it runs better.
The worse part was I had NO tools, nada, I'm glad the sender was not bad thats for sure.

Note to self: Pack spare kero heater for this in the event it actually gets cold.

sounds like it may be a sending unit going bad...just a thought

Back