• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electrical question???

Sport cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
99xj 4.0 / I went for a ride last night and stop at a local store I was going to be in and out so I decided to keep her running. When I got back I noticed that the temp gauge was up and raising from about 195 to 215 and might have went up more If I didn't start driving.

But here's the wierd part It seems as if just keeping her running did something to the electrical. when I signaled the blinkers nothing happend, when I tried to turn on the radio no power same with the power windows and the wipers.

I had to do that key code thing to reset the computer to get everything back to normal.

I just want to know exactly what caused this and is it an easy fix?

I'm going to say it was just a fluke. There is nothing to do with the computer that would cause the symptoms you described. Turning the Jeep off, and doing the gauge check will not reset the computer anyway. You have to either clear any codes with a scan tool, or disconnect the battery. My guess is that when you where getting in, or out you bumped the keys just enough to shut off the accessory power. Also 215* is fine for the 4.0
the electric cooling fan wont even come 'till you get up close to 225*, and (at least on my 2000) the rpm's will increase (to speed up the mech fan & water pump) if the temp continues to climb. I have left my XJ idle for over an hour on a few occasions without any problems. It routinely idles for 10-15 minuets on a daily basis in the winter.

No can't say I bumped anything. The XJ had this problem when I first got it. None of the electrical would work but the lights would come on, That's about it. Then I read the key code thing and I can say with out a doubt that it resest my electrical. What exactly caused it Is what I'd like to know?

Back