• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how worthy is a 4.0 running at a high angle?

RWKHausSupply

NAXJA Forum User
how long can one expect a 4.0 to run if the rig is on its side or close to it, climbing under load? I have seem MANY toyota's doing it for about a min or two with no issues. What about the Jeep 4.0?

As far as I know, if all the oil didn't run out somewhere, you could run it upside down for quite awhile (If your gas tank was full), there might be some issues with the oil pickup (though it would likely rattle like crazy if the pickup ran dry). :)
I backed into a ditch and had my nose pointing up at about an 75 degree angle, it actually looked like it was sitting on the rear bumper (crushed my tailpipe end some). Ran just fine.

Last edited:
Yep, It is a pressurized EFI. I believe that is one reason they built it this way is so it won't stall at those angles. I have seen quite a few carburated
rigs stall out and then an Injected 4.0 go right up the same climb with no problem.:peace:

ust keep the oil level right and watch for rear main seal leaks. Most will leak a little when the front end reaches for the sky a lot but not bad.
Note the cup holders become undependable at about 45 deg.

badron said:
ust keep the oil level right and watch for rear main seal leaks. Most will leak a little when the front end reaches for the sky a lot but not bad.
Note the cup holders become undependable at about 45 deg.

Stock cup holders maybe.. I installed the kind that are for boats and go 360 deg in any direction without spilling.

I know that it will climb fine and run while doing so, what I am concerned about is on its side completely, and trying to drive out of it and all, will it then become an issue?

If the gas tank pickup doesn't run dry or the oil pan pickup doesn't run dry or the tranny (auto) oil pickup doesn't run dry. There really isn't much to go wrong. It's possible the air cleaner will suck a large amount of oil through the valve cover. My wife rolled hers (it was on the roof), my son shut it off after about 2-3 minutes. When we put it back on the wheels (after an hour or so), it started right up and they drove it out of the way. Though the trac bar and drag link were pretty bent and it didin't steer very well. The charcoal canister was full of fuel.
I can imagine the oil may run to places it really shouldn't be in any quantitiy.

I've had my XJ 4.0 in a ditch with the passenger side dragging on the ground. I drove it for about 50 yards this way which took about 6 minutes. Other than leaking a little oil from the base of the oil filter neck, it ran just fine. you should be alright with sideways angles for 5 minutes or so at least. (It helps though if your jeep is a cheap thrasher, and not your daily-driven love.)

8Mud said:
The charcoal canister was full of fuel.
Its a Vaccum Bottle, no charcoal canisters on XJs.

If you seal are good and you pickups aren't fubared you should be good to run almost upside down.

8Mud said:
there might be some issues with the oil pickup (though it would likely rattle like crazy if the pickup ran dry). :)

If the oil pickup runs dry, the oil pressure gauge will drop to zero, and it's the engine that'll rattle like crazy 'cause there'll be no oil going to the bearings and the lifters. The result will eb severe engine damage.
Fortunately the 4.0 has a baffled oil pan to keep as much oil as possible near the oil pickup if you run at a steep angle, but you could still run into a problem if your oil level in the pan was too low to begin with.

an accusump can buy you a bit of time......

but unless you go to a dry sump system with multiple suction points, anytime the pickup is not imersed in oil, the pressure is gonna fall.... and the oil will no longer flow, and the damage will begin.

thall said:
an accusump can buy you a bit of time......

but unless you go to a dry sump system with multiple suction points, anytime the pickup is not imersed in oil, the pressure is gonna fall.... and the oil will no longer flow, and the damage will begin.

oh well hell.. I will just go get some "Slick 50" and run that and everything will be fine with no oil then :clap: :clap: :doh:

ok I am kidding.. just for those that dont remember the slick 50 training or comercials..

yep, I remember the slick 50 stuff......

but the accusump does work! No snake oil there....

Back