• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cleaning oil pump pickup

clunk

NAXJA Forum User
I'm in the middle of replacing a rear main seal, and when I removed the oil pan there was a healthy amount of sludge and crystalised oil at the bottom of oil pan. No worries, I cleaned it all out with carb cleaner and a toothbrush and it looks like new. By healthy amount I mean that it's not excessive, contained no metal fragments etc.

There was also a bit hardened on the oil pump pickup: on the screen and resting on the protective "shield"
It definately was not clogging the pump in any way, but if left alone I could see it clogging up waaaay down the line...I mean in another 20 years assuming this is the original pump/pickup.

What is the best way to clean this off? I don't really want to remove the oil pump. can I just remove the oil pickup and clean it out really well with carb cleaner and a toothbrush? I'm more concerned with the bit of crystalized stuff left sitting on top of the "shield" directly below the screen. I'd like to eliminate as much as I can so it doesn't get sucked back up into the engine.
thanks!

Oh yeah, the oil pan was a real burden to get off...broke both swaybar links undoing them so I could get the axle to droop enough...still ended up putting a bottle jack between the front axle and the frame rail to get enough clearance. Probably wouuldn't have been a problem if I had a lift on it, but it's all stock so it was a little tight.

hmmm never had to clean one, you can buy a new one for a few bucks, or clean the OE by soaking in a bucket with some B12 chemtool or seafoam should disolve and grime or sludge. both should be available at autozone, i think b12 chemtool is about 1/2 the price by the way.

So can I just remove the screen then? I didn't look too hard at it, it's at a friends shop overnight where I'm doing the work...I tried unthreading the screen/pickup but it didn't seem to want come off.
If I can just remove the screen then that'd be ideal..I guess that's kinda what I'm asking, is there any way to remove the screen without removing the entire oil pump?
If not, I guess I could just use a shallow container with some kinda cleaner in it as a "bath" and soak the screen/pickup for a bit and hope that all the gunk falls down into the cleaner.
My main concern is that some small sludge will get sucked up past the screen and into the engine after I clean it all out. Wonder if a shop vac would do a decent job of sucking it out..hmm

Back