• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

to winch or not to winch?

Frankkl

NAXJA Forum User
Ok here it gose... I got stuck on the week-end.:farmer:

The worst part is that we went hunting, and I just go in a trail, park, hunt and got back and then when backing up, the truck slid side ways off the elevated trail. Got one side wheels in 2 big holes. This was probably the only place I could get stuck because the rest is flat. My Xj is a stocker and I could not get good traction on the snow.

We got chain lever hoist (comealong) and got it out 4 hours later (did not have it in the truck so we had to walk back get my buddys truck and so on:gee: )

For what I do I know a good come along would probably do the job. But is there other options to a full size winch. Could it be possible to use a smaller winch with a set of pulleys? I am not in the big trail riding or mud pits. Looking for cheap ways of getting unstuck.

Radon said:
also lift your jeep and put some better tires on it. That will make a big difference from getting stuck.

I know about all of that, the way I was stuck, a lift and tire would have been no help. The truck was not high centered and the 2 right wheels where in big holes, in ice and snow.

For a come along any advise , or they are the same?

having gone from come-a-long to 5000# winch to 8000# winch and now 10500# winch I reccomend just biting the bullet and getting a winch if you feel you will use it more than twice a year.

5 minute winchings beat cranking that damn come-a-long for a half an hour.

No not all come alongs are created equal.

i run a ramsey 6000 that plugs into my recievers. never once had a problem. ive even used it to pull out 2002 4-door f-250 that was buried in the swamp. its been good to me. but if you want cheap the jack will do wonders. trust me.

I got a Ramsey R E P 8.5 from sams offroad $399.00 delivered to my door. I have no

complaints with this winch.

For as little as you would be able to get stuck, save the money and just get a jack. If you find yourself getting stuck more often even after the jack, then buy the winch. Now you've a hi-lift and a winch and you're set. Kinda.

On a side note, I use my winch maybe 2x a year, and one of those times is usually for one of my ballsy friends with a (close to) stock vehicle.

ive been wheeling for 20 years and never have owned a winch.but i had airlockers most of the time so when i did get stuck all i had to do was push a buttton or two.

habibi said:
... lockers ... it will make the axels alot stronger and the jeep alot better!

Lockers would have gotten you out but they wont make your axles stronger. The axles are the same strength, they don't magically make your axles turn into 4130 or 31 slpline shafts, but they do allow all the wheels to turn at the same rate even when 2 are stuck in holes. With some good tires you'd be surprised what a couple lockers can get you out of.

On the other hand having lockers in a D30/35 can be a problem with larger tires and can actually make it easier to break an axle shaft, athough I'm running 31's and I haven't broken a shaft yet as I'm really careful.

So here is what I got from princessauto: A 2 ton cable come along: easy to use and will use it other places and a 48" Farm jack (hi-lift copy). The jack was only 40$CDN so I figure that I should try it see if I like it. I met a farmer:farmer: at the store that said he uses the house brand over the hi-lift and it always works, for half the price. The finish on it is not as good as the glossy finish on the hi-lift but for me its good enough.

Was my first time at princess auto... I was like a kid in a candy store:looney:

Frankkl said:
So here is what I got from princessauto: A 2 ton cable come along: easy to use and will use it other places and a 48" Farm jack (hi-lift copy). The jack was only 40$CDN so I figure that I should try it see if I like it. I met a farmer:farmer: at the store that said he uses the house brand over the hi-lift and it always works, for half the price. The finish on it is not as good as the glossy finish on the hi-lift but for me its good enough.

Was my first time at princess auto... I was like a kid in a candy store:looney:
I've a farm jack, too. It's worked fine every time I've used it. I couldn't see the point in paying $20 more for a Hi-Lift brand. You'll like it.

Frankkl said:
his it easy to winch with it? I figured out how but if you have the the choice. Come along or farm-jack?
Well, I dunno personally since I use my winch. If I had to say, I'd guess that a farm jack would be "easier" since it has a larger handle and you can get more leverage on that. Neither will be an easy chore, though.

habibi said:
well in my opinion i think some lockers would get you out of anything and everything! just htink about it. it will make the axels alot stronger and the jeep alot better!

Winch FIRST. Why don't people understand that. You can winch yourself through anything. Even if both your axles are broken.

Anywho, for the sake of your thread, get a cheap winch. Tabor is warn's budget line. Get somthing in an 8000 pound flavor. Even if you only use it a few times a year, it comes in real handy for home work projects. Or when the weather turns sour, you can help other folks out in situations.

It's just a good insurance policy.

Back