• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

d35 and 8.25 rear pics

swany

NAXJA Forum User
hey i have a 91 2 door with the 4.0 and 5 speed. just wanted to know what rear axle i have and i cant find a number so if anybody has pics of the d35 and the 8.25 i can compair them and match mine. my rear has a rubber plug so i dont know if that helps any?

The easiest way to tell is to look at the bottom of the differential, if its _ flat, its an 8.25, a D35 is rounded on the bottom.

Dana 35:
dana35c.jpg

8.25:

corporate8.jpg

Yes, then after you confirm it is indeed a D35, rip it out of there, and replace it with a D44, or even just a Corporate 8.25. After youve extracted the D35, be sure to huck it as far you possibly can into the back of some junkyard somewhere, or better yet, a recycling center thatll melt that worthless piece of crap into something thats actually reliable and useful.:D

swany said:
so your saying the 8.25 is better than a d35? why is it hard for me to find gears or a locker for the 8.25?

The aftermarket isn't very big for the 8.25, but hear that Superior is coming out with some upgrades. Gears will end at 4.56, and you can get lunchbox, full lockers, or LSD's for it.

Don't we have an FAQ that answers this type of question? Oh yeah...it has no pics in it.
rolleye.gif

The rubber plug isn't a guarantee of anything - you could have either the D35 or the C8.25 rear. 4.56 is the limit for low gearing with that axle, and that will work fine for 32s.

From http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/gear1.html :
D35 rear. Note oval cover and rounded lower portion.
axle_d35.jpg

C8.25 rear. Note the oval-shaped cover and flat cast 'lip' that differentiates the 8.25 from the Dana 35.
axle_825.jpg

Back