• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'96 xj 4.0 stalls

xjbrian219

NAXJA Forum User
96 4.0 auto trans....idle is terrible, sometimes 1000rpm, sometimes 7-800, sometimes as low as 200rpm.....and if i dont keep my foot on the gas it dies.
im getting plenty of spark, and plenty fuel at the rail. my guess is sensor of some kind?? i took off the tube between the air intake and the manifold and cleaned as much of throttle body as i could without taking it apart....didnt help...

Try cleaning the IAC and/or spraying some oil around the IAC plunger/piston.

I glued the extension tube onto the spray head of a can of spray penetrating oil (so I wouldn't loose it down the TB) and sprayed oil into the IAC opening on the passengers side of the TB throat. with the motor running. Worked the throttle a little. Repeated. Cured my 96, has been doing Ok for over a year now and seems to have saved me the $80 they wanted for a new IAC.
I now spray a little oil in there whenever I have the sound box off of my TB.
A faulty MAP, may have many of the same symptoms. I have a tendancy to try the cheap fixes first.
Might as well try a Mil code test and see if any sensor codes pop up.

Back