• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flexy leafs

sheeks175

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, I got a rusty's 8inch lift with the 8.5 inch coils, and the front end flexs great. As usual though the rearend is the stiff part of the suspension in xjs. I have like 7- 7.5 inchs of total lift in the back with leafs, 2.5 inch blocks, and 1.5 inch shackles. It flexs really sh*ty and I want to know some secrets for better leaf spring flex. Would a big leaf spring with lots of arch be better? A bastard pack with blocks? What do you think would work? Taking a leaf or two out of the pack? Thanks
-Patrick:smoker:

you're in a conundrum there.

leaves that are too stiff won't flex, leaves that are softer flex like crazy, but you can't use blocks with them because of an insane ammount of axlewrap.

It is not advisable to use blocks on an xj because once you get a spring light enough to flex you're in bad territory for blocks.

If you insist on using blocks as part of your lift instead of getting full rear packs to get you where you need to be ( with matching shackles and bumpstoping of course) you may want to invest in a traction bar like the one made by searchers. If you're going to be spending that kind of money anyway, why not just pony up for springs?

Reccomended course of action:

Purchase full leaf packs that in combination with your shackles will yield your desired lift height and flex.

Lower your jeep about 2-3", then your leafs won't have so much arch to flex against.

goodburbon said:
you're in a conundrum there.

leaves that are too stiff won't flex, leaves that are softer flex like crazy, but you can't use blocks with them because of an insane ammount of axlewrap.

It is not advisable to use blocks on an xj because once you get a spring light enough to flex you're in bad territory for blocks.

If you insist on using blocks as part of your lift instead of getting full rear packs to get you where you need to be ( with matching shackles and bumpstoping of course) you may want to invest in a traction bar like the one made by searchers. If you're going to be spending that kind of money anyway, why not just pony up for springs?

Purchase full leaf packs that in combination with your shackles will yield your desired lift height and flex.

Alright. Thanks you kind of missed the whole point of my thread. I just wanna know what will flex best at 8 inchs, cuz I heard that leafs with lots of arch dont flex well. And I dont have any axle wrap with my blocks, probably because my springs are so stiff, so what should I do?
-Patrick:moon:

the flatter the leaves th ebetter the flex block are OK but definately not the best. Another option could be getting the biggest u-bolt eliminators from TNT customs and a little bigger shackle to cut down on the the high arc springs

krelja said:
the flatter the leaves th ebetter the flex block are OK but definately not the best. Another option could be getting the biggest u-bolt eliminators from TNT customs and a little bigger shackle to cut down on the the high arc springs

A bigger shackle... That might be an option. You like those teraflex shackles I think they are that pivot in the middle? Also I heard that cutting part of the leaf spring straps off helps you flex more? Is this true? Thanks
-Patrick

I don't think I missed the point.

Your springs are too stiff no? So you want to soften them so they'll flex?

If you pull the bottom leaf or 2 you will lose some lift but gain the flex you want, but then the blocks become an axlewrap problem so you lose another 2.5 inches which puts you down to about 3-4 inches of lift in the back.

Purchase full leaf packs that in combination with your shackles will yield your desired lift height and flex.:D

sheeks175 said:
A bigger shackle... That might be an option. You like those teraflex shackles I think they are that pivot in the middle? Also I heard that cutting part of the leaf spring straps off helps you flex more? Is this true? Thanks
-Patrick

teraflex revlover shackles... I read once on the interweb that they can make off camber situations a little scary.

cutting the strap will help the springs sag a tiny bit more when extended, but won't help you stuff your tires any more.

goodburbon said:
I don't think I missed the point.

Your springs are too stiff no? So you want to soften them so they'll flex?

If you pull the bottom leaf or 2 you will lose some lift but gain the flex you want, but then the blocks become an axlewrap problem so you lose another 2.5 inches which puts you down to about 3-4 inches of lift in the back.

Purchase full leaf packs that in combination with your shackles will yield your desired lift height and flex.:D

Alright thanks, it just seemed like you were focusing on my blocks rather than my question. Yeah I do have 1 small leaf I could pull out...I'll try that and see if my axle wrap is too bad.

I was reading on here that longer leafs and a shackle angle pointing towards the rear of the jeep allows for way better flex. Has anyone put in a longer leaf spring pack? What pack did you use, and did you have to relocate the axle? Thanks
-Patrick:passgas:

Are your springs broken in yet? Which way is your shackle facing? Yes having a shackle angle just past vertical will make a huge difference in your flex.

goodburbon said:
Are your springs broken in yet? Which way is your shackle facing? Yes having a shackle angle just past vertical will make a huge difference in your flex.

Yeah, I bought them used, and my shackles are just about vertical. They may be pointing in like this / a degree or 2.

sheeks175 said:
Yeah, I bought them used, and my shackles are just about vertical. They may be pointing in like this / a degree or 2.

Pointing in?

There's your problem, it's totally fighting the movement of the spring.

Sure you can't lower it an inch or two?

vetteboy said:
Pointing in?

There's your problem, it's totally fighting the movement of the spring.

Sure you can't lower it an inch or two?

Yeah... what should I get for a longer leaf spring? An mj spring maybe? I might lower it an inch, but not until I get it out on the trail a bit more, I don't wanna chop up my coil then want to go bigger again. Anyways what would that solve? Thanks

sheeks175 said:
Yeah... what should I get for a longer leaf spring? An mj spring maybe? I might lower it an inch, but not until I get it out on the trail a bit more, I don't wanna chop up my coil then want to go bigger again. Anyways what would that solve? Thanks

Here is what I did using f150 springs. I measured and the actual lift is close to 7". http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=901160

Back