• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Powertrax no-slip and 4.56 gears problem

jester1084

NAXJA Member #1189
Ok, so I got a powertrax but the ring gear (4.56) in my chrysler 8.25 is too thick to get the center pin out of the carrier. Fine, so I take the carrier off and put the powertrax in. Now it clicks... how am I supposed to get the axle clip back on and the center pin back in. I am out of idea. What has anyone else done, or have you had the same problem?

Thanks,
Mike

First index the ring gear so that the crosspin sits between 2 teeth,then grind the teeth down.Another option (that I dont care for) is to grind the crosspin.

well, for now i ground the pin (did that while waiting for reply). I can always get a new pin and grind down the teeth later.

Thanks for the replys though
Mike

jester1084 said:
well, for now i ground the pin (did that while waiting for reply). I can always get a new pin and grind down the teeth later.

Thanks for the replys though
Mike

I'd take it easy on the rear until you get a new cross shaft. X3 grind the 2 gear teeth. -B

Shave the ring. You dont have to take off much material

shavedring.JPG

BRIANHO13 said:
Did, you actually pull the carrier out of the housing to put the no-slip in?

Yes, because I was just having a bad day. I remember reading about the grinding elsewhere a long time ago, but I didn't even think of it until after I posted this. It's back together now and working so far, but I have to keep an eye on it. I'm driving it home today to make sure everything is in working order. We'll see how it all turns out. If it blows up I guess it just gives me an excuse to save up for something bigger... of course then I have to hope I['ve got it done by winterfest.

Mike

do you not habe to readjust the bavklash when you pull the 8.25 carrier? How did you get teh c-clips back in?

I just marked where everything was before I took it out and lined it back up where it was. In all honesty, probably not perfect and I have a feeling I'll have to get it adjusted. As for the c-clips, I just followed how the powertrax directions said to do it. I ended up taking it out in the first place because I was having a helluva time getting the original spider gears out.

Mike

Def get your backlash/preload set up, I would hate for the whole thing to blow up on you.

Yeah, that would suck. I wish I had remembered the grinding part before I took it all apart, it would have been so much easier. But I agree, I'll probably get it adjusted soon. It just sucks that I'll have to pay for it because I don't have the tools to do it myself.

Mike

call randys ring adn pinion and order ya a high strength clearances pin, IF they offer one for that rear. I know for the 8.8 it was only like 20$.

Back