• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0 noises

suthernoutlaw

NAXJA Forum User
i put a 98 4.0 in my 91, it had 26k miles on it...bought as a rollover. my question is, does the change in weight of the oil affect the noises? i heard a little bottom end noise when i had 10w40 so this change i went 20w50. now i hear it more than before. should i run a lighter oil, i thought the heavier would be better.....

if it is cold out use a lighter oil thick oil may be to heavy to correctly flow through the system. not completely lubricating things.

if its knocking you should check the flexplate for cracks or loose bolts first. That is the cause of most knocking noises.

Does it go away under load?

My 1991 XJ did the same thing; I thought I had a bad bearing or something getting ready to let loose on the bottom end of the engine. The knocking went away when I goosed the gas for a quick take-off. (I was mad, and gave it a shot out of frustration.) I pulled the inspection plate on the advice of my brother, and found all of the Torque Converter bolts were finger loose! I pulled them one at a time, cleaned them with a wire wheel, then re-installed them with red locktite.

I hope this is your problem...

:)

Try looking on the right firewall. There you will find a duty cycle purge solenoid.It makes a terrible knocking noise when it gets some age on it.Really will fool you with its noise.

what does the duty cycle purge solenoid look like? i looked around cant figure it out. thats the first time i ever heard of one.... i did find a vacuum line unplugged, starts way faster now.

With 26K miles on the engine, you need to be running 10W30 ( and I am assuming you are in the south from your name and not Canada where they are probably running something like 0W20) . Anything over 30 Weight is too thick for a new engine and will make it knock and ping. 26K is a new engine.

Back