• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

low washer light on dash, any way too fix??

i have now owned five different cherokees and on everysinlge one of them, and on my two of my friend's rigs (all between 89-93) the low washer light comes on everynow and again regardless of the washer fluid content, is there an easy fix for this? (just curious, i can live with it if i have to)

heres thing with mine. the placement of the sensor(on middle of passenger side. no matter how full it is, you take a right turn and the slightest bit comes off the sensor and the light flashes. DC should have put the sensor on the underside of the tank. if you unplug it does the light stay. because if it doesnt you just pull the power plug to the sensor.

On my 90 there is a styrofoam 'buoy' that rises/falls with the level of the washer fluid. If you take out the styrofoam portion of the low level sensor and replace or extend it it will stay afloat and will not activate the light until the level is lower than stock.

I had the same problem on my '94. I unplugged the harness connector on the top of the reservoir and Voila! no more light. I think it was originally set up to let you know when you were about 1/2 tank full. Even after filling mine up to darn near overflowing, I still didn't get mine to go out. If the wiring isn't hooked up, the light won't work. I have a rear wiper/washer, and I think some of the ones that didn't have the rear wipers didn't have the sensor. I am working on a fix that anyone could use, besides some junkyard parts. I will keep you'all posted.

Jeff

201574_front200.jpg
Cover with Ductape!!!

I always carry a rolle of Mecican Solder in my XJ. Million and one uses for this stuff.

Electrical Tape looks better than duct tape when covering stuff up on the dash.

Was anyones connector for the washer sensor corroded at all, or were they all in good/clean condition?

my washer fluid light is stuck on. the fluid went to low, then i filled it, and the light stayed on...i gotta fix that soon.

can you bend the flotation devise so its higher, and dosen't go off as easy?

I'm not familar with the triggering mechanism in the bottle, but lf in fact it is a floating device THEN you would need to lower it to prolong the trigger. The float falls to trigger the light to come on. IF the float is saturated, then it won't float and turn the light off and needs replacing. Hope this helps!

On my 88, the light goes on too, SO, just take the connector on the top of the bottle, filp it over and only connect it so one prong is connected, Squirts fluid and no light. :)
easy fix for mine.

TwistedSymphony said:
my washer fluid light is stuck on. the fluid went to low, then i filled it, and the light stayed on...i gotta fix that soon.

can you bend the flotation devise so its higher, and dosen't go off as easy?

My light always stayed on in my 95. I unplugged the connector from the top of the bottle and then it never lit and everything worked fine. When my fluid bottle cracked I replaced it with a junk yard unit. I also pieced together the parts to make the light work right. That only worked for a week so I unplugged it again. Now when I try to use the wiper fluid and none comes out, I know it's probably empty.

DJ, I like your Avatar. If only I had a street Jeep or a MUCH taller wife (or girlfriend).

Back