• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will this coil fit? looks a lil fishy

DenT

NAXJA Forum User
click here
ill assume u can figure out which one im talkin about but the engine spec says for a 4.2L but it came up when i searched for my jeep

89 I6 4wd

i know crown make replacement oem parts for pretty cheap and i know quadratech sells em but i cant seem to find it on their website for some reason. in college for another semester so 17 bucks is lookin a lot better than 50.. any input appreciated.

found it here too but with the same mumbo jumbo

Last edited:
yeah i figured as much with that but the first site actually has separate text typed in there that says the wrong engine... perhaps they just copied it outta the wrong pic...

suppose its worth a shot since its listed on the right year...

suppose i can try to find a sheet... amidst packin and headed back to school... thanks for the quick replys

http://www.crownautomotive.net/catalog/electrical/ignition_coil.html

That coil may be for the old FSJ Cherokee, I'd look a little deeper.

I'm pretty sure this is the coil for the Renix 4.0 http://www.car-stuff.com/performanc...Session=&usemake=&returnurl=www.car-stuff.com

The test for the coil is 0.90-1.40 ohms at the primary , between the pluse and minus spade connectors. And 7.3-11.1 K ohms at the secondary, between the tower and either spade connector (if I remember right). Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
Most any of the major parts places can bench test the coil and the ignition module for you.
Coils don't often go bad, but there was a recall in 87 or so for a bad batch.

Last edited:
pretty sure there is moisture gettin in it... car never starts when its damp out... dried out the coil with a hair drier n it started right up... thanks for the info though... i was just being cheap but ill prob just go out n snag one...

If you seperate the coil from the module you can clean the contacts. They sit in a tub, which can get full of mud, trash water and what not.
I was getting a weak spark for awhile, cleaned the contacts/connections between the coil and module and the spark freshened right up.

sounds like a plan... probably give that a shot when i get some daylight... let u know how that works out...

It all depends on your ICM (Ignition Coil Module). I bought one of these for my 90 XJ 4.0 and it did NOT fit and there was no way to plug it in to my module. Had a completely different setup. But the parts guy told me that was the coil until I brought in my coil and showed him. Came up for the same vehicle in their book, but with a different coil.

Back