• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Color Matching JCR Bumpers/Rails...Help!!

woodkrawler

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys i got my JCR Stage 4 bumper and stage 2 rails in the other day now i need to paint them. They are going on a white 92 Laredo with grey trim(standard grey like millions on the road). However im having trouble finding a rattle can Grey to match the grey from the laredo trim. Please point me in the right direction of colors/brands/etc....you have used to match the grey color closely.....

thanks
Lincoln

I don't know about there but here in michigan you can go to a good automotive paint store and have any color you want put in a rattle can. Check your area and see if you can too.

Our local NAPA can mix paint and put it in a rattle can. Just give them your paint code and they'll put it in a spray bomb for you. Might check that out in your area. I'm sure someone close to you can do it.

If it's a grey jeep, I'd go with black bumpers.JMHO.:D

You could always paint hte trim too, there isn't much to paint. And if it looks like most of the other 92's out there, it could probably use a coat of paint. I painted mine with regular Krylon and it has lasted a few years now.

I used Medium Gray form Walmart and it was a match for my gray Laredo flares. Also, not quite the same color but Rustoleum Hammered Black looks good, IMHO.

i think im going to go with black for the rails and try to match the front bumper because my grey trim is in good condition. Im going to try you guys suggestion of getting it mixed at the local parts store. ill post some pics when i get done.

Rustoleum Hammered Grey is the color you want. Primer first, then use the Hammered Grey. Touch-up with the Hammered Grey.

Lodi Jim said:
Rustoleum Hammered Grey is the color you want. Primer first, then use the Hammered Grey. Touch-up with the Hammered Grey.

Thanks for the help! thats exactly what im looking for. i've been using rustoleum hammered for 3 yrs now on various jeeps but i have never seen the grey color. All i have ever seen is the silver with is too bright and the black which is too dark for my grey. WHERE DO YOU BUY THE GREY? ANY SUGGESTIONS?

thanks
lincoln

Went and looked at a can, and it said: SILVER
Rustoleum Hammered SILVER, not Grey. Sorry about that.
Available locally at OSH, Lowes, etc.

Wanna hear something funny? You want to SAND and PRIMER those Rock Rails before you install them anyway (I have the same ones).

Standard Grey PRIMER is close to what you want. Try it... Primer rubs off on the trail as good as ANY old paint... Remember, they're rock SLIDERS...you want paint that SLIDES too! :)

You ARE going to primer them anyway, right??? Get an extra can or two for your garage...you will want the paint for your post trail cleaning and inspection (Daily drivers like me do this goofy shit...:confused1 ).

Want to hear a cool trick to mark the holes before you drill? Put the rails in place using Jacks, C-Clamps and Jackstands then go back and spray Flourescent orange paint in all the holes the bolts go through and wait an hour. Drop the rail from it's place and VOILA!! All your drill holes are marked for ya!!!!

Zipzipzip!!! :) GREAT choice on your rockrails!! They make good steps for puttin shit up top too! Non-skid strips might be needed...slippery when wet.

Mine paid for themselves the first time out.
1zei29x.jpg

Sniggs said:
Wanna hear something funny? You want to SAND and PRIMER those Rock Rails before you install them anyway (I have the same ones).

Standard Grey PRIMER is close to what you want. Try it... Primer rubs off on the trail as good as ANY old paint... Remember, they're rock SLIDERS...you want paint that SLIDES too! :)

You ARE going to primer them anyway, right??? Get an extra can or two for your garage...you will want the paint for your post trail cleaning and inspection (Daily drivers like me do this goofy shit...:confused1 ).

Want to hear a cool trick to mark the holes before you drill? Put the rails in place using Jacks, C-Clamps and Jackstands then go back and spray Flourescent orange paint in all the holes the bolts go through and wait an hour. Drop the rail from it's place and VOILA!! All your drill holes are marked for ya!!!!

Zipzipzip!!! :) GREAT choice on your rockrails!! They make good steps for puttin shit up top too! Non-skid strips might be needed...slippery when wet.

Mine paid for themselves the first time out.
1zei29x.jpg

you also have one very nice looking jeep, mark. i need to prime and paint my bumpers when i get home....they are prolly gonna end up being black...but who knows, i might just go wild and paint em like baby blue or something to completely and utterly not match the black paint, faded as it may be

Back