• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new crate motor swapped, got problems

ridge_runnerxj

NAXJA Forum User
well my buddies and i swapped a crate rebuilt 4.0 in my 95 xj. we finally got it running after we figured out the crank position sensor was bad. but the jeep is hard to start plus is doggy as hell, advance the timing maybe? i dont know so help me please!

Timing is not adjustable. Check all your ground wires and the braided ground strap.

Check the distributor indexing as well as the spark plug firing order. Make sure you have the ground strap from the head to the firewall. If the injectors sat for a while dry, they may be sticking. If so run a can of BG44K through it. Don't waste your money on the STP type crap.

Timing isn't adjustable manually. It is adjustable, by the engine control computer, using sensor input to optimize timing better than can be done manually. Not crazy at all. The problem with timing typically results from misindexing the distributor- the ECU can't overcome that much difference from where it should be.

"the right way".:passgas: JK First thing that you must now, is were and how to finned TOP DEAD CENTER on the COMPRESSION stroke.

I'm real not yelling,;) its just vary importent that you under stand this..........before you can index it corectly!

Flash.

That will work, but may end up taking longer.

ridge_runnerxj said:
well thanks guys the jeep is timed perfect and so far runs great. just gotta break it in. any suggestions on the best way to break it in?

Every body has there own favorite way.....I say drive it like........you will be droving it!!!!!!!!! brake it into you habits,good or bad!

with that said you should not lug it, not rev it and should not let it sit idle for any long period of time and never keep it at the same rpm.......like travailing with the cruse control one:nono: short power boost with 1/2 to 3/4 throttle (in 2nt gear and above) is best to seat the rings to the cylinder wall!

Have you broke in the cam yet.....this is the first thing that you must due!!!

Hi idle 2,000 for 20 minutes!

Flash

Back