• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

no front washer

f-a-t-b-o-y

NAXJA Forum User
1993 xj 4.0. i searched and only came up with issues for a 98. both front and rear wipers work but no washer for either. i can't check the fuse because i have no fuse cover so i don't know which one it is? snow + no windshield washer is bad news! any help would be great.

X2. Pump motor most likely is toast. Bypass the wiring and hook it straight up to the battery for a second. If it don't pump it's toasted.

Don't know about '93, but my '88 has two washer motors--one for the front and one for the rear, both located at the bottom of the washer fluid bottle, with individual hoses going to the respective squirters. If neither is working, I'd suspect a fuse or sediment in the bottom of the tank. Turn on the washers and listen to determine if the pumps are running; if not, look for a fuse or wireing issue.

I'm not positive about the 93 but most models from 87 through 96 that I've messed with, have a circuit breaker for the washer wiper circuit (it sometimes falls out of the fuse block). If the washers don't work and the wipers do, it isn't the fuse (in the PDC 60 amp) or the circuit breaker (in the fuse block).
If your washer mix is too thin it can freeze. Some glycol based washer anti freeze mixes can gum up the motors when it is put in straight, it needs to be thinned. My wife has added straight winshield washer, without mixing it on numerous occasions. My fix was to remove as much as possible then to add near boiling water. I've had to disassembly them twice. I've always managed to free them up, without having to replace the pump.
It's possible, but unlikely there is an open circuit someplace. A simple trouble light and you can check for power at the pump plug.

thanks to all that replied. i went out and fought the beast for a couple hours in the snow. front pump is toast, + the line is clogged. reversed the lines so my rear button now squirts my front. i'll fix it properly later on. i just needed to see! thanks again for all your help.

Back