• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97+ dome light in a pre 96 XJ

pabloconrad said:
You hae to run a "hot" wire, either constant or ignition switched, to it. But I have one and it's nice to read while driving.

Why Can't I use my current wiring? I'm looking to add one of these.

75c4_1.JPG

Throw an overhead console in it and you'll get 4 overhead lights (an additional 2 for the rear seat area).

JEEPZZ said:
Throw an overhead console in it and you'll get 4 overhead lights (an additional 2 for the rear seat area).

It's hard to find a gray console for a 96 and older cherokee. What do those do anyways ? Just temp and compass ? That's more than I need.

pabloconrad said:
Does it have a map light? Or just the door lights.

If they have a map light, you do need to have a constant hot wire to it. Unless you want to keep your door open while reading.

But if you're swapping a new-style front dome with maplights in place of an old-style front dome with maplights, it should be plug and play, right?

camarors8992 said:
It's hard to find a gray console for a 96 and older cherokee. What do those do anyways ? Just temp and compass ? That's more than I need.
Yep, just temp and compass with 4 map lights that operate with the doors or independently right at the light. (I've got a freshly recovered gray one that I'm going to ebay, wiring and all) :D
Rob Mayercik said:
But if you're swapping a new-style front dome with maplights in place of an old-style front dome with maplights, it should be plug and play, right?
Not exactly plug and play. You might have to cut & splice a few wires since the connectors are different on the newer dome light.

Back