• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OEM Steel take off Wheels?

Audnorge

NAXJA Forum User
When I got my 2000 it had some early 90s alloy 10 hole OEM wheels and GY 235 rubber....I just have to do something.

I got 5 takeoff steel wheels today for $15 a pop...but noticed they are the newer type wrangler steelys....the cap is much smaller and shallower than the old steelys. Is this going to be a problem?
Do late model wrangler takeoffs fit XJs?
Thanks, Aud

Oh yeah...I know this answer is in the forums but the Search doesn't work.

Last edited:
You won't have any problems, I run Wrangler wheels on my stock 90 and 30x9.50 with no rubs at all.

90newestle1.jpg

OK thanks guys. I am talking the steel wheels but I guess the size is what matters.

I just wanted to make sure the backspacing was the same on the newer steel wheels. I looks like maybe just the center caps on the new design are less protruding, that the caps are shallower.

I was also thinking of painting them black.....how does this look if anybodys seen it?

Costco has a special right now on the BFGs....buy 4 and get $60 off. Considering their price on the 31x10.5x15s is very competitive to start with, that's too attractive to pass on I think.

I was considering the Firestone Destination ATs....but my local BS/FS dealers are like $30 per tire higher than TireRack online, making the BFG T/As look even better. The better quality tires locally seem to be much higher than prices I find online and I'm also surprised at the number of cheapo brands that dealers carry. Like GT......31x10.5 for $86? WT heck?

I have 2.5 inches in spacers up front and the OME medium leaves in the back (bout 2.75 inches. I shoule be good with 31x10.5....right?

Lots of questions....I haven't lifted an XJ in over a decade!

OK, I am really, really DUMB!!

I bought 16" Liberty Wheels! Argghhhh!!!!!

Can I put these on my Cherokee, considering I haven't gotten the rubber yet?

HELP!

Audnorge said:
I bought 16" Liberty Wheels! Can I put these on my Cherokee, considering I haven't gotten the rubber yet?

HELP!

I think you can. I sold my XJ 16" rims to a guy who was going to put them on his Liberty. Just check the bolt pattern and back spacing. Xj' are 5 on 4.5 and 5.25" backspacing. Use this link how to measure backspacing or Google it. I think Liberty's run 5.75" backspacing.

Last edited:
Audnorge said:
OK, I am really, really DUMB!!

I bought 16" Liberty Wheels! Argghhhh!!!!!

Can I put these on my Cherokee, considering I haven't gotten the rubber yet?

HELP!

same bolt pattern again different back spacing, the extra inch isnt a huge deal, though i think you may have less choices with a 16" rim looking at 31" rubber than you would with 15" rubber .... i dunno.

Actually, thanks to the help of my local independent tire shop, I found a number of 16" tires that work. Here's a synopsis of what I found:

235/75R16 29.8" dia 9.3" wide
245/70R16 29.6 9.7
245/75r16 30.6 9.7
255/70r16 30.2 10.2
265/70r16 30.7 10.7

these are for BFG TA KOs......other brands vary greatly.
One online tool I found was at Tirerack.com. If you use the "Compare" feature after searching for tires, it takes you to a screen that will give you actual diameters and width measurements. I'm surprised at how different brands in the same size can vary by nearly an inch.

I wound up with 245/70s....which are close to 30x9.5s. I drive mostly street and have it up about 2.25 inches and didn't want any rub. Now....if I can just understand bumpstops I'll be set!

Back