• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

just picked up my new wheels and tires - should I paint them?

BigOrangeXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I just picked up my set of lightly used (7k miles on them and 1 spare w/ no miles). They are 32"x11.5"-15 BFG Mud Terrains with 15" American Racing wheels. Got them for $500. Not to bad for 5 lightly used tires and wheels. Anyway, obviously my Xj is orange and I was thinking black wheels might look better than the silver that are on these tires, but I don't feel like trading with someone or buying new one and having to pay for shipping, mounting, etc., so I was considering painting them black. Any done this that can offer suggestions on type of paint, # of coats, clearcoats, etc.? It would be a cheap fairly easy mod. Here's the wheels/tires below
102_0944.jpg

102_0939.jpg

You want to spray paint nice aluminum wheels? Oh man.
Those are nice wheels, and you want to take them and make them look like $30 dollar wheels right? Please don't.
Spray paint will look so awful that the first time out they will be sooo chipped up and ugly you'll want to sandblast the paint off immediately. Even if you spent $100 to have them powercoated black, they'd still chip.
Just use them man the way they are, they're freaking nice as hell!

DAMN!!! Wish I could come across a deal like that - that's the exact size and tire I'm looking for and definetely want to upgrade from my 91's stockers.

I vote to leave 'em though.

Im sure no one around your area would have a problem trading those rims for some black Rockcrawlers. If you are in the midwest,(not likely since i see that great weather in the picture) I would do a straight up trade, I might even throw a few bucks your way.

Here's mine (steelies) that I did last spring.I used Van Sickle Ford tractor blue industrial rattlecan( same I used on the cage, rails, and bumpers).I just scuffed with 220 sand paper, no primer, and sprayed them.So far its holding up great.

PB030048.jpg

Last edited:
Back