• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

weird noise under dash only in 4wd

furrymcmonst

NAXJA Forum User
This is my first post. I've never took an interest in cars until recently so I am a complete neophyte at all aspects of working on cars. Recently, during a rare northwest snow, I was stuck at home for two days and couldn't drive anywhere. I decided to buy a 4x4 and have always wanted a Jeep Cherokee so I picked up a 1990 for $700.

The transmission was shot so I paid Lee Myles $2000 to rebuild it and it runs great. I paid a mechanic friend $75 to put on a new drive belt as it was squeaking badly.

Well, we got yet another snowfall so I needed to use 4wd last night. It got me out of the driveway and into town and it was nice to know that I won't be stuck any longer!

When in 4wdH, at certain speeds, there was a fluttering sound under the dash. It sounded like helicopter blades. My gut feeling was that it was some kind of cable bashing against something. If anyone knows what this is, I would appreciate some guidance.

I did manage to do my first real car repair and cleaned the neutral safety switch. The reverse lights work now but in order for the shifter not to be so tight, I had to loosen the nuts a bit on the NSS. They are very loose and I'm worried I did something wrong putting the switch back on. At least if there is a problem with that, I'll know where to look. It's working okay now and is no longer slightly stiff and feels like it did before I took it off and cleaned it.

My goal is to get my feet wet by redoing the interior which seems easier than engine related stuff. I'll ease into that part of it.

This is a great site with lots of good info. Thanks everyone.

Check all your front shaft u-joints and centering ball

Back