• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wtf is wrong with my 89 xj

luvherinmyjeep32

NAXJA Forum User
arrrrrrg! wtf! ok, so awhile ago i replaced that #6 fuel injector cuz the jeep was running on only 1 cylinder and we conluded it was that cylinder and most likely a bad injector. well it worked fine for awhile. occaisionally when i sart the jeep it will sound like its not runnin on all cylinders then after 10 seconds at the most it will sound fine. not too soon after i replaced that injector the CPS went bad. replaced it and now its fine to start. today i went out and started it early in the morning to go see my neighbor and it went over and back runin fine. i even shut it off and had it sitting out in the rain over there and it started fine. now its sitten in the rain over here and i go out to start it and it sounds like its not hitten on all cylinders like before. i ran like that for a little and i didnt go anywhere yet so i decided to shut it off and restart it to see if that would do anything. i shut it off and now it wont restart. souned like the battery was dead. starter was moving real slow. i pushed it into the garage and threw the charger on it and now its charging but the charging isnt doing anything. i turn the key and all i hear is clicking and nothing. wtf!?!?!?!? im ready to break something. is the very small amount of rain coming down the back of my cowl induction hood doing something maybe? what the hell is going on here? the battery is an optima yellow top and the starter is about 2 years old. a remanufactured job i think from napa. argh. someone....help...

this has all taken place since the new year. its like my jeeps new years resolution is to **** with me.

o ya and here's something else i just found out- the only thing i've had a mechanic do to my jeep other than ispections is change the cps and that was because i was sick the last time it went bad and i trust the guy that did so i just had him do it. well i went to change the cps the other day and the one that came out of the jeep had an offset sensor on the metal tab. the new one was centered. i called around and did some research and found out the centered sensor is the right one so the one that was in there for a year or more was throwing my timing off by a degree or two and it was for a wrangler straight 6. wether it was for the 4.0 of 4.2 i dont know but either way that blows! my mechanic must have looked up wrangler instead of cherokee taking the easy way or something and figuring the motors were the same. argh. i wonder if the computer was able to compensate for that **** up. aaaaaaaah! [/RANT]

The offset cps is the high altitude version and is in most cases preferable.

I would run a can of BG44K through the gas to clean the injectors and change the fuel filter. Don't bother with any of the cheap brands. It runs about $20 a can and is worth every penny. Lots of people make great claims about other products, but BG44K has been used by professional mechanics for decades for a reason.

thanks for the quick advice guys. i ran a bottle of fuel injector through it about a month and a half ago and accidentaly again about a month ago. i changed in a new fuel filter in july but if u guys think changing it again will help i'll do it. where can i get this BG44K?

NAPA usually carries it. Most of the off the shelf cleaners are not worth the can they are shipped in.

i think i have two probles. the rough running issue and the not starting problem. i dont think their related and i hope not. just horribly coincidental. think my starter went bad? i think ill take the battery somewhere and get it tested tomarrow.

ok since i have plenty of power with bright headlights and all electronics working i think the starter is bad. the celinoid clicks a little and doesn't even try to engage. the headlights barely dim a little when i try to start. im guessing the starter failure is caused by a bad heater valve which is leaking a lot of antifreeze/water down the side of the motor onto the starter. both parts are being replaced today and then hopefully ill be able to start the jeep then i will address the running issue. assuming the motor's ground strap is a bad ground im planning on running another ground off of the motor directly to the negative battery terminal because the bolts are ready to break off on the ground strap. ill use 8 guage wire and some gold plated terminals i have laying around from a previous sound system set-up i had.

i replaced the heater valve so the leak is fixed and i replaced the starter so now the jeep starts but now it runs like crap all the time. im pretty sure its not firing in the #6 cylinder again. wtf! i have new a new cap, rotor, plugs, wires, compression test was fine, and i used a test light to make sure the injector was getting power. adding an auxillary ground wire from the motor to the battery didn't help. whats goin on here?

Back