• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

air filter under cowl

NighthawkXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Looking through my xj builders guide i got for christmas, i ran accross an xj where they put the air filter under the cowl through the fire wall. This looked pretty trick and out of the way. Does anyone know how that all worked, or have any pics of how it looked under the cowl.

If needed i can get out the book again and get the guys name.

I have a rustys air tube, and k&n, but it would be nice to clear out that space and not have to worry about the hot air, mud, and mositure where that cone sets.

ive seen it done but cant remember which site....i believe they use the stock air box and plug the front intake and cut a hole in the back aswell at the firewall and run dryer hose or something its good idea if you dont like the thought of runnin a snorkel

I ordered the book a few days ago, can't wait for it to get here :-D

back on topic, though... I know a few TJ guys like that setup, but I didn't think that XJs had enough room for it. if they do, it's probably a good idea if you want to take the time to do all the cutting and rerouting hoses.

i just seen it the other day, and thought it looked cool, but it was not eric's jeep, it was one of the ones featured in the book though.

Eric, if you read this, let me know how they did that with just a couple under the cowl pics.
Thanks.

I've done it as well, used plastic 2 3/4 abs from guttering. Plugged the hole in the airbox and cut a new one in the side. Up, accross the valve cover through the firewall just to the left of center. Riveted on a 45 degree turn up so the air is drawn in from the top of the cowl.

I tried putting a 6" K&N conical in there and removing the airbox but it won't work without modding the firewall more or modding the top of the cowl. Prob is above the location I describe there is no access. If you pull your wipers and cowl cover you'll see what I mean.

Oh yes, the throttle body is about 2 3/4 also, I noticed NO performance diff with this mod installed. Just a lack of water in the engine!!

Back