• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Defrost Fuse Blows

Matt_West

NAXJA Forum User
The vehicle is an 87 XJ Wagoneer. The rear defrost does not currently work. The 25 amp fuse under the driver side dash is blown. When I replace the fuse and turn on the defrost switch, the switch lights momentarily, I hear a click to the right of the steering column... maybe by the climate control stuff. When I check the fuse it is blown again.

I have been unable to locate the relay for the rear defrost. Does anyone have a description of where to look and what my test points / procedure should be?

Thanks,
Matt

The relay is under the drivers side of dash, Try a cicuit braker and feel the wires and see if any get warm and hot that'll be your shorting wire, As one master mechanic once told me "sometimes you gotta let the magic smoke outta the wire"

Thanks I appreciate the advice. I have been looking under the drivers side dash for a while and haven't found a "Red" relay yet. I think a forty amp fuse and the "magic smoke" might be my only hope... seems a rough route to go, but barring further input it may be my destiny to burn this vehicle...

I had the same problem last winter. My problem was that the wiring between the body and the hatch had deteoriated and begun to short against itself and the frame.

Back