• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

leaf spring bolts how tight?

Ben824

NAXJA Forum User
ok so i just got some new RE 3.5" leaf springs cuz my old AALs wore out. k so in order to get them in i had to take the the whole shakle off too cuz my factory gas tank skid and trailor hitch and custom dual exhaust made it impossible to get it off otherwise. so now im wondering how tight should i make all the bolts for like the shackle on the frame end and the leaf spring end and also how tight should i make the other end of the leaf spring at the frame.

Frame bolt 100 ft. pounds. Shacke bolts 45 ft. pounds. hth. Re-check after 300 miles. Use anti'seize also. If you don't have that use grease. It will help the next time you upgrade.

Last edited:
You gotta remember, you squeezing a poly bushing. So, you're not tightening metal on metal. Just get them snug as you can without pinchin the crap out of the bushing. Grease or Never Seize the bolts!! They like to freeze up to the little cheapo bushing sleeve. Grease it good. Use Neverseize on the U bolts too for the future, you'll be glad you did.

There are torque specs on my website, in the Tech section (link in sig.)

IMPORTANT NOTE - if you get never-seez on the screw threads, reduce installation torque by half. This is done to account for the reduction in friction by the never-seez. If you don't, you run a serious risk of pulling the threads out of the mating part!

If you get oil or grease on the threads, reduce installation torque by one-third. Same reason, just a lesser effect...

Keep both of these in mind anytime you lubricate a thread that the manual doesn't give a "lubricated" torque figure for - since most book listings are for "clean, dry" threads (I call them out in the charts when the manual calls for lubrication.)

Also, do not torque suspension fasteners on a hoist! Install them loosely, set the vehicle on the ground, bounce both bumpers a couple of times (to set the suspension back into its "resting position," then torque the fasteners. Failure to do so can result in premature parts failure - especially bushings!

You Have Been Warned.

5-90

5-90 said:
There are torque specs on my website, in the Tech section (link in sig.)

IMPORTANT NOTE - if you get never-seez on the screw threads, reduce installation torque by half. This is done to account for the reduction in friction by the never-seez. If you don't, you run a serious risk of pulling the threads out of the mating part!

If you get oil or grease on the threads, reduce installation torque by one-third. Same reason, just a lesser effect...

Keep both of these in mind anytime you lubricate a thread that the manual doesn't give a "lubricated" torque figure for - since most book listings are for "clean, dry" threads (I call them out in the charts when the manual calls for lubrication.)

Also, do not torque suspension fasteners on a hoist! Install them loosely, set the vehicle on the ground, bounce both bumpers a couple of times (to set the suspension back into its "resting position," then torque the fasteners. Failure to do so can result in premature parts failure - especially bushings!

You Have Been Warned.

5-90

Agree completely, especially on the 'when to tighten' part.

I just finished putting a 3" lift on a 97 cherokee this evening, and I explained to the owner why we put the shackle/spring bolts in loosely, and tightened them after the vehicle was on the ground. I even made him back up and down the driveway a few times before we torqued them down.

ok ill doo all that was said but just for those of yall concerned about poly busings Rubicon Express does NOT use poly bushings they use rubber and thats y in my opinion they make the best lift leaf spring packs on the market because they flex well and ride nicer than any add-a-leaf i have ever seen i have a full RE 3.5" lift on my jeep now when i started out with a 3" BDS and by comparing the two the RE is such a better ride and handling than i have ever seen. also i installed the RE steering stabilizer and mono-tube shocks that are specifically tuned to a jeep cherokee where i had all BDS b4. this is such a nice lift package that if i buy a lift for another jeep again i will not buy any other lift than a RE

Ben824 said:
ok ill doo all that was said but just for those of yall concerned about poly busings Rubicon Express does NOT use poly bushings they use rubber and thats y in my opinion they make the best lift leaf spring packs on the market because they flex well and ride nicer than any add-a-leaf i have ever seen i have a full RE 3.5" lift on my jeep now when i started out with a 3" BDS and by comparing the two the RE is such a better ride and handling than i have ever seen. also i installed the RE steering stabilizer and mono-tube shocks that are specifically tuned to a jeep cherokee where i had all BDS b4. this is such a nice lift package that if i buy a lift for another jeep again i will not buy any other lift than a RE

Thank you for your opinion, but might I suggest the following?

1) Punctuation. I ran out of breath reading that!

2) Try not to use "IM-Talk" or whatever. It's confusing, and even phone text messages don't charge by the character...

I'm not trying to invalidate your opinion - but to help you present it in a more useful and readable format for the rest of us to follow what you're trying to say. Make sense?

5-90

Back