• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front end clunk

TRCM

NAXJA Forum User
My 88 has a front end clunk I can't seem to find. it does it when ever you hit any bump, large or small, but is most noticeable at low speeds.

shocks are tight, now obvious loose parts.....

any ideas ?

I forgot to mention, I have only noticed it in 2wd

I highly doubt it is ball joints or bearings, as the tires are wearing perfectly on the front (and rear too for that matter)

Check the sway bar bushings on the frame. Also check the mountings to the track bar. The track bar can make a clunk even if you can't see movement. I found that one way to diagnose the ball joint (frame) end is to grease just that one joint. If it quiets down for a day or two, then comes back, you've found the problem.

Not yet.

I'm beginning to think it's the link arm bushings. They seem to be pretty loose.

I also need to look at the ball joints again. Upon closer inspection, the front tires do have a very slight wear pattern on them I hadn't noticed until I washed the truck (hunting season just ended).

Back