• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

long start?? I searched!

scarboy

NAXJA Forum User
O.K. guys, new poster here and I have a problem. I have an 88 cherokee with the 4.0 and auto tranny. It takes forever to start. Not like nothing happens when I turn the key, but like I turn the key and it turns over and over before it finally catches and starts...Any ideas?

Welcome to the RENIX family. LOL Most older jeeps I know of take longer than what I think to start. Mine is a 90 and it takes 3 times as long to start as both my chevys, but it always starts and runs fine.

I guess I am really wondering how long yours is taking?????

Like I said, mine is 2-3 times longer than my chebbies but I have been told that this is normal jeep behavior. Maybe you can give us a time in seconds to start?

My 88 is the same way---new battery, starter, whatever,makes no difference. Been that way fro over 10 yrs according to the previous owner.

any auto parts store, around 20 bucks. you could also make your own if you google it I know theres a few articles.

apperantly a tire pressure gauge would work as well but I havn't found one that'll fit in the tight space to thread it on, but maybe I havn't looked hard enough.

Back