• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oils

tuff_jeep

NAXJA Forum User
Hey just 2 quick question do i use the same oil in the transfer case as the diff and/or tranny becasue im doing all the fluids change this weekend and if so i bought this oil from canadian tire and its called

MotoMaster Extreme Pressure Gear Oil SAE 85W-140

Will that oil work in either my axle or transfer case or all 3??

Thanks Steve

its auto so i figure its not the same i just searched this too and i read some other guys are running the 85W-140 in their axles so i think im good but im not sure for transfer case

ATF is automatic Transmission Fluid.

There are different types of ATF. Your transfer case just happens to need ATF +3. Some transfer cases need Gear oil.

Here are the different types of automotive "oils".

Motor Oil (For your Engine): Usually 10W-30 Or something similar. (5W-30, 20W-50) etc... These oils are "lightweight" in the autmotive setting and are used mainly for motors. The "W" designation is the "cold" viscosity and second number is the "hot" viscosity.

You see, today chemists can figure stuff out, way back when, folks had to use "thick" oil in the summer and "thin" oil in the colder winter temperatures. Today, chemists have figured out how to do two things with one oil. (Don't ask me how it works, google it)

Gear Oil (For your gear driven units; Manual Transmissions, SOME gear driven transfer cases, Ring and Pinion / differential gears) Usually the lower viscositys are around 80W-90.

Automatic Transmission Fluid (For automatic Transmissions, SOME chain driven transfer cases): Many Types of this are available, depending on detergents. ATF +2, ATF +3, ATF +4, TYPE F, Dexron III, Dexron Mercon, etc...

Grease (for steering linkages, U-joints, bearings etc): Grease varies by heat rating. I prefer to use lucas for my driveline u-joints and marine grease for everything else.

Brake Fluid: for brake systems and hydraulic clutches. Usually DOT 3 rated.

Power steering fluid: For power steering systems. Honda uses a different formula otherwise, I think all vehicle manufacturers use the same thing.

Windshield washer fluid: For washing the windshiled. Colder climates add two shots of whiskey per quart to prevent freezing and keep your jeep smelling like whiskey.

Hope this helps.

Automatic Transmission and Transfercase - Dexron III

Front and rear Differentials - I believe I put in 75W-90 in them....I know it was the standard gear oil, but it's been about a year since i've done it. The only acception would be if you have a limited slip rear differential, then you'd need to put in an additive.

KarlVP said:
That gear oil will work in your differential, NO IN YOUR TRANSFERCASE.

Your t-case needs ATF +3.

Your transmission varies whether it is a manual or auto.

ATF+4. Get some Valvoline, cheapest synthetic ATF you can find. Latest specs. Supersedes the +3.

tuff_jeep said:
its auto so i figure its not the same i just searched this too and i read some other guys are running the 85W-140 in their axles so i think im good but im not sure for transfer case

140 is kinda heavy for your climate. I'd use something lighter like 75W-90.

Ok so i can use any of the mentions oil for the T-case the ATF +3 or +4 or that Dexron III stuff any of those that i can find will work??

Also i am into the Nitro R/C trucks and i know in the diff's on them if you put thicker oil it slows down the spider gears and works as a limited slip would that have the same affect on my jeep axles or not at all?

Thanks

tuff_jeep said:
Ok so i can use any of the mentions oil for the T-case the ATF +3 or +4 or that Dexron III stuff any of those that i can find will work??

Thanks

Unlike transmissions, transfer cases are not sensitive to the type of transmission fluid that you use. I recommended the Valvoline ATF+4 because it is a top quality ATF for a great price. In the US anyway. Any good ATF will do. The factory calls for Dexron III for earlier TCs, they call for ATF+4 for my 01WJ with a 242.

Last edited:
tuff_jeep said:
I read some other stuff and people say just put 90W gear oil in it as in ATF is to thin like water for that application??

You don't put 90W in a TC period. The pump was designed for ATF.
Years ago out of desperation I used engine oil in a TC and shifting became a problem.
Don't think that ATF is not a great lublicant. An automatic transmission has all kinds of gears and bearings that get by with ATF.
In fact it is such a good lube that some people use it to lube guns (no way, it stinks)

Lets say you have it lifted running 31's with stock gearing?

What about a stock setup that pulls a 16/18 foot boat in the summer?

Do you all think it is worth getting SYNTHETIC gear oil for the diff's?

fyi: the climate gets both hot and cold

it is lifted running 31"'s lol

See:
100_0638.jpg

But i dont pull boats with it its a trailer PIG it gets pulled around instead!

For cold climate use, sythetic ATF in the transfer case makes it much easier to shift. It has been -29 degrees C (-22 degrees F) here all week. I use Mobil 1 synthetic ATF (Dexron III) in my 1990 231, and Mopar ATF+3 in the 2001 242. It will be changed to the Mobil 1 synthetic ATF next change-- I just can't stand what Chrysler charges for their synthetic ATF+4, and both t-cases seem to be OK with either Dexron or ATF+3 or +4.
The AW4 automatic tranny gets only standard Dexron III, since synthetic has lead to slippage and a burned up tranny for a number of posters here.
I tow, so the rear dif gets synthetic 85w-140 gear oil as per OEM spec. The other XJ (and front axle on the tow jeep) get 75w-90 synthetic gear oil. I use synthetic because it results in lower differential temperature (by measurement- not opinion), and should result in less wear.

4xBob said:
I just can't stand what Chrysler charges for their synthetic ATF+4, .

Some time ago Chryco gave permission to several oil companies to produce ATF+4. I have seen at least two more. One of them is Valvoline. They sell their fully synthetic, Chrysler spec ATF+4 for almost the same as Dexron III.
Half the price of Mobil 1 ATF.
While it is true that DIII is fine for a TC, why not inexpensive ATF+4?

Back