• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

IPF or Hella headlight upgrades??

klennop

NAXJA Forum User
So which one of these is better. I want to be able to use replacement bulbs. IPF stuff looks nice but everyone talks about Hella ones here. I also see Delta tech?? So which one is better??

Last edited:
This is going to give you a lot of biased responses.

I went with the IPF. I never even researched the Hellas, honestly, but the main reason I went with IPF is because they have a sharp cut-off in the lens. I use the IPF lens, with the Magic-J bulbs and love them. I definitely have enough light, but I still want to upgrade my wiring harness for the headlights.

I've got the Hella's in both my XJ and my Toy. I love them and recommend them based on this. If your looking at other brands than Hella then take a look at roundeyes. Pretty sure his site is at
www.roundeyes.com
He is a great guy and his product is nice. I've seen them in a few jeeps and they work just as awesome as the Hella's.

If your going to run higher watt offroad bulbs like 100w then you may consider an upgraded wiring harness too. Otherwise you may not get enough amperage to the bulbs. This can make them not as bright and burn out before there time. I got my wiring harness from 4crawler at www.4crawler.com. Another great guy. His is mainly for Toy's but his harness adapts well to the XJ. Tell him XJCreeper sent you.

Get some and good luck seeing in the dark woods!

Just speaking from my personal experience. I ran the IPF's with IPF H4 magic bulbs (blue glow ring). They were great. However, I am obsessed with lighting and always want more. I ended up purchasing the Hella E-code headlights, running the IPF H4 magic bulbs, and upgrading my wiring harness with a Hella HL28200 wiring harness.. It's almost HID quality output! I am loving it!

$60 for the harness
$60 for the bulbs
$70 for the housings

Worth every penny!

Jeepin.com has a good writeup for the headlight and harness setup.

I have the IPFs and changed my harness with Big Offroads. They woek great. The Hellas are good too. Make sure you don't have to worry about inspections with the Hellas, they are not DOT approved.

I don't have to worry about inspections or anything but I am just trying to figure out which ones are better since they are all around the same price.

klennop said:
I don't have to worry about inspections or anything but I am just trying to figure out which ones are better since they are all around the same price.

Hella E-codes or Cibie's are the best.

I've ran both the IPF and the Hella E-codes and I can't tell much if any difference in terms of quality or beam pattern (both good). Both about the same price too.

I use a IPF relay harness and 130/90 Hella halogen bulbs.

IMO the IPF "J" bulbs aren't worth the premium price... one can be in Hella 130/90s or 100/80s "forever" for the price of one pair of J bulbs.

I tried and really liked the IPF 170/100 bulbs, but their (high) cost and short life-span brought me right back to the $8 ea Hella halogens. they were really bright though... :sunshine: I loved zapping the dumbasses that dared to 'beam' me. They are still seeing spots LOL.

Are these the same housings that you run or are these something different?
Rustys Hellas?

Rustys also has the IPFs for a good price. Which ones would work out better? I am going to order my exhaust in a few days and was looking at swapping over to H4's while I was at it.

The Hella Vision plus lights are NOT the same Hella's myself and woody run. You need the Hella E-code's, but they will not pass inspection.

Here's my old setup with the IPF housings instead of my current Hella E-codes:

Buy two of these at $39.99 each:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/97017_600.htm

Buy this at $69.99 (pair) - these are blue, also available in green:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/97018_201.htm

Buy the correct harness here (Mine was $70 shipped, got it next day as they are only 1 hour from me):
http://www.rallylights.com/hella/wiring_harnesses.asp

Back