• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gear Indicator Light?

Rew70

NAXJA Forum User
On my 99 XJ, the light behind the gear indicator does not work. May be missing? The one behind the 4WD indicator works, but not the other.

When I took the cover off, I didn't see a bulb, cluster, nothing. Was it never there? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

All XJ's that I know of have a light for the gear selection indicator.

With that said, give this a try...

CAREFULLY remove the T handle from the shifter (it is a press on unit and if you are not carefull, the plastic teeth that hold it on will break off).

Once that is out of the way, remove the gear indicator bezel and look for a the wire that has a bulb socket on the end; it could be hiding under the carpet.

If you do not see it, try removing the bezel that covers/surrounds the transfer case selector and look for the wires/light for that unit as IIRC the two do come up together under the center consloe; my guess is that someone at some point had the center console out and forgot to run the lead back the the trans gear selector bezel.

If that does not help you find it, you can always remove the center console and see if the line is hiding up toward the dash.

Hope that helps out a bit!

This will help me a lot! My light just went out the other day, I thought that it was going to be a more intence bulb change then that!

Thanks TK99XJ

Both of mine are out and have been since I bought it... it will probably stay that way too. lol
It's not like I'm going to forget either of the shift patterns....... :)

Back