• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best Dana 30 year/model?

norcalsnow

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 xj that came with abs. I swapped the rear axle with an 8.25 but the front is still the stock dana 30 minus the abs i gutted. The d30 knuckles are sloppy and the bearings are going on it. These things are a dime a dozen and i was going to run down to pick and pull to grab a new d30 tomorrow to replace the old one. This would also get rid of all the unecessary abs brackets and teeth on the one i have now so i'm guessing pre 96 will not have abs. Is there any year d30 that is better than another? What should I be looking for? Winterfest is going on in Northern california where i live and the d30 that is in now will not survive. thanks for all the help.

19never84 up to 20no-way01 are good years. none of them are good. there all pretty much the same - weak. get one with the non-disco and reuild it, truss it, and beat the crap out of it until it breaks(again).

If you are talking about the axle including shafts, then '95 - '99 is best because it is guaranteed to come with the larger u-joints, its non-disconnect, and high-pinion.

If you are going to re-use your shafts, then you can get anything '92 - '99 which are all non-disconnect and high-pinion.

Just make sure the axle you are getting has the same gear ratio that you have now (unless you are looking for an upgrade). General rule is XJs with the 2.5L I4 engine came with 4.10 gears in the axles.

i will not be re-using anything from the old axle. Thanks for the reminder, I cant forget to make sure its 3.55 ratio. That would be any 4.0L auto.

norcalsnow said:
...I cant forget to make sure its 3.55 ratio. That would be any 4.0L auto.
In the latter years yes you will be safe using that assumption. It always pays to be absolutely sure though (divide ring gear teeth by pinion gear teeth).

mud4x4lover said:
the best year of 30's is 1980 none! they all suck get a 44

thats pretty obviouse. I tried to explain that this is a quick fix for winterfest thats in two days to get me on the trail as quick and cheap as possible, but thanks for the input....

mud4x4lover said:
the best year of 30's is 1980 none! they all suck get a 44

My dana 30 will hold up to any 30 spline dana 44 out there.

In answer to the original question, look for a 96+ off of an automatic, but avoid anything 2000-2001. You will get high pinion, 297 shafts, and less chance of the balljoints or unit bearings already being toast.

norcalsnow said:
i will not be re-using anything from the old axle. Thanks for the reminder, I cant forget to make sure its 3.55 ratio. That would be any 4.0L auto.
you shouls atleast keep the shafts for spares

are the shafts from an d30 abs axle compatable with a d30 non abs axle? i thought the abs shafts had that ring with teeth for the abs sensor/controll.

ya right! if you belive that i have $1,000,000 to give you also what hell is wrong with you people? 30's are junk! everyone knows it, it just a matter of money but all the money you waste upgradeing them you can have a 44, but go to sleep tonight and belive your nonsease story about you think a 30 is as strong as a 44!......sweet dreams
cal said:
My dana 30 will hold up to any 30 spline dana 44 out there.

In answer to the original question, look for a 96+ off of an automatic, but avoid anything 2000-2001. You will get high pinion, 297 shafts, and less chance of the balljoints or unit bearings already being toast.

norcalsnow said:
are the shafts from an d30 abs axle compatable with a d30 non abs axle? i thought the abs shafts had that ring with teeth for the abs sensor/controll.

yes, there will be no problem there. The rings will not interfere with anything.

mud4x4lover said:
ya right! if you belive that i have $1,000,000 to give you also what hell is wrong with you people? 30's are junk! everyone knows it, it just a matter of money but all the money you waste upgradeing them you can have a 44
uh ok

mud4x4lover said:
ya right! if you belive that i have $1,000,000 to give you also what hell is wrong with you people? 30's are junk! everyone knows it, it just a matter of money but all the money you waste upgradeing them you can have a 44, but go to sleep tonight and belive your nonsease story about you think a 30 is as strong as a 44!......sweet dreams

all this attitude and not even here a few weeks. welcome aboard! you'll fit right in.

and as far as those ABS tone-rings, just knock them off if they bother you. i say keep your current housing and get some good used hubs.

Back