• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Educate me on Trackbars.....

HaleYes

NAXJA Forum User
OK, here is the deal.
I'm currently running a RE 1600. I know, I know....lots of people have had trouble with these. It has worked just fine for me so far, and I maintain it very well hoping that it will remain trouble free. However, I'd like something a little beefier.
I first looked at JKS. I like them other than the fact that the frame end is set up as single sheer. Not the strongest option. In fact it's set up just like my RE 1600 other than the heim/johnny joint. I've read lots of posts of guys saying that JKS is the way to go though....maybe I'm missing something, I dunno. I would think that a double sheer set up would be a much better way to go. Something with a good solid frame end bracket to mount too as well. Not the factory bracket. I'm leaning toward T and T Customs set up. It seems to have everything I feel is desirable in a trackbar.

Let me know if I've misunderstood something or are totally off my rocker on the JKS trackbar. I'm kinda puzzled by that. I'm open to suggestions too. Please don't turn this into a "Rusty's trackbar sucks" thing either.

Hale

I spent a lot of time searching, and reading threads on here when it came time to replace my Rusty's trackbar. I came to the conclusion that it seems you are leaning twards, and went with the T&T setup. I couldn't be any happier with my decision. It installed with zero hassle, fit perfect, and solved all the problems that my Rusty's didn't. HTH..

I would also suggest the T&T setup. They have individual sizes for each lift setup. Not to mention, for $230 for a quality product... I'll spend that anyday!

I believe the RE setup with the drop bracket is around $250+...

Haleyes said:
I first looked at JKS. I like them other than the fact that the frame end is set up as single sheer. Not the strongest option. In fact it's set up just like my RE 1600 other than the heim/johnny joint. I've read lots of posts of guys saying that JKS is the way to go though....maybe I'm missing something, I dunno.
Hale

I bent my TNT trackbar on what seemed like a mellow Rubicon run.
My JKS bar and factory bracket took more abuse at the 'Hammers' Jamboree without any problem at all, not to mention many years on the other trails.
Currie offers a beefier 'Jeepspeed' version of the JKS bar using a larger bolt, for more peace of mind if you're planning to get airborne... :)

I ran a JKS trackbar for a 4-6" lift for a couple of years. Even with the single shear frame end, it had no issue with the joint.

Since then, I changed my setup to the build-yer-own kit with the over-the-axle mount. If I *EVER* bend this....

chrslefty said:
have you looked at kevins off road yet ?

Not a fan.
He uses a glorfied stock frame mount, that dosen't impress me a whole lot.

Hale

You run a TNT now don't you Randy?

IntrepidXJ said:
my T&T is modified so i am running small RE joints on both sides

How do you think that would fare in a DD application?

IntrepidXJ said:
i would run it. but you would need to build a new axle side trackbar mount, as the stock mount is too narrow.
Well, that kinda needs done anyway. The hole on that end is wallered out. It done that with the stock TB. I put a temp. fix on it by welding a plate to the outside of it, but it's just that....a temp. fix.

Didn't you experiment with an aluminum bushing or something?

GrayT said:
I believe the RE setup with the drop bracket is around $250+...
I'll just point out that the track bar bracket for the RE HD track bar is NOT a "drop" bracket. The joint is at the same height as stock. It looks different because it is mounted horizontally.

I'm a big fan of the RE HD mount and brace. I'm running that with a custom trackbar (over the axle). I noticed a night and day difference just bolting that brace on and driving around the block.

With less than 6" of lift, I'd do the RE HD trackbar/bracket/brace in a heartbeat. With any more lift than that, it tends to not have as much thread engagement at the adjuster as I'd like.

EricsXJ said:
I'll just point out that the track bar bracket for the RE HD track bar is NOT a "drop" bracket. The joint is at the same height as stock. It looks different because it is mounted horizontally.

Hmm, well that is good to know. I had done a quick glance at them for pricing reasons, but thank you for the info!

Rusty's track bar sucks.

Back