• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

the 1 millionth regear question

Gnat5680

NAXJA Forum User
i just need one person to answer.

i have 30 inch tires i want to regear to get more torqe. is it possible to get more torqe by just regearing. if so what gears do i want.
also where can i get a speed corrector?

The motor itself won't produce any more torque, but by making the gearing lower, you can get added pulling power and yes, torque to the wheels. With 30" tires, Id go with at least 4.10. You probably have 3.55's now? If you ever want to go bigger in the future, save for some 4.56's or 4.88's. I can't help you on the speedo gear though.

how bad do you really want the torque? i ran 31's on 3.55's without a problem, for a long time. specs on your rig would help since a 5spd xj will have 3.07's as opposed to 3.55's in an auto. if your ok with a higher rpm at top speed 4.10 would work well with an auto, they are the optimum ratio for a "stock" feel when running 31's. you won't get more torque but the torque will be multiplied better to fit the engines power curve and the size tires you are running, but that being said no it will not increase the actual torque number

12GaugeXJ said:
The motor itself won't produce any more torque, but by making the gearing lower, you can get added pulling power and yes, torque to the wheels. With 30" tires, Id go with at least 4.10. You probably have 3.55's now? If you ever want to go bigger in the future, save for some 4.56's or 4.88's. I can't help you on the speedo gear though.

gah! you posted the same thing while i was typing it :D

sorry i left out that info

95 auto country i belive a D35 in the rear.

i want a more stock feel and better shifting. it seems to shift way to late and i heard that a speed fixer would solve the shifting problem. if possible could it be geared for the best gas mileage

Gnat5680 said:
sorry i left out that info

95 auto country i belive a D35 in the rear.

i want a more stock feel and better shifting. it seems to shift way to late and i heard that a speed fixer would solve the shifting problem. if possible could it be geared for the best gas mileage

you believe? squarish bottom is an 8.25 round bottom is a d-35. your speed with 30's is like 1-2 mph off and the tcu takes it shift points based rpm's and not speed. the shifting late is normal, your truck is now going slightly faster at a lower rpm so at its normal shift point its going faster so it will feel late. 4.10's will allow it to run in the optimum range for best mileage with 30's and 31's. though if you wanted to go to bigger tires i would save the money for the gears then because changing them isn't a cheap operation

Gnat5680 said:
is it possible to do it myself? about how much are new gears? and yes it is a D 35.

it is possible with the right tools and know-how, the important thing is the backlash measurement and making sure that the mesh pattern is correct. the problem is that if you screw up your screwed hard, i am about to drop 400 on front and rear gears and 2 master install kits.

Gnat5680 said:
is it possible to do it myself? about how much are new gears? and yes it is a D 35.

I would highly reccomemd you do not do it yourself. They require proper setup, with the ability to read gear patterns, backlash, shim placement, ect.. Im not doubting your skills to do anything, its just something to be left to someone who know what they are doing.

You can PM Rawbrown, he is a vendor on here who sells gears.

Or www.ringpinion.com

I've got a manual with 3.07's but fixing to swap in a D30 / D44 with 3.54's. I was wondering how much of an upgrade this will be for me? 32 / 33's is my goal.

Gnat5680 said:

I agree, I would not set the gears up yourself unless you have some experience doing this. It is possible to do it yourself but it can be a hassle. I personally wouldn't stick any money into the dana35 either though. I would upgrade to atleast a ford 8.8, also late model izusu rodeo came with a dana 44 under the rear. Most salvage yards will sell you either one real cheap...

Gnat5680 said:

It is very possible to regear your own axles, but you have to have the correct tools, patience, and good mechanical ability. I paid to have mine done once then figured the next time around I could screw them up myself and still have enough money to buy another set. It is not simple, but it is very doable.

Get another axle to swap in for the dana 35 and put your gears in it (before swapping it into the heep), take your time that way you aren't rushed to get your jeep back on the road.

I had 3.73 with by 30's and it was great. Considering the 30's barly emasured 29" and were pretty light. 4.10 would have been better for my 31's cause they were a 1/4" of a inch plus 31 and quite a bit heavier but they ran fine with 3.73's.

I'm running 4.10 and 30" on my 96' AW4, Gobs of power taking off, I tow a 3200# bass boat in the mountains with no problems and the driveability is better than stock. No significant change in mileage on the highway but much better in town.

The next set will be 4.56, and if I were you you I would go ahead and go as low as you can, if you plan on bigger tires!

I'm a mechanic and I always set up my own diffs. If you have the tools and ability you can save $300-$400 labor. Parts vary but mine with Detroit Tru-Trac in the rear and 29 spline Yukon shafts, install kits, and gears from Randys R&P, $1000

Back