• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle Shaft Q

Zoro

NAXJA Forum User
In order to pull the front axle shafts on a 90 XJ without removing the bearing nut how do you do it?

I've already pulled the 3 12pt bolts that seem to be holding it on and I can't seem to get it off. I've been wacking it w/aBFH but it's bending the metal not losening it.

Any ideas?

If the whole bearing and shaft dosent come right out nice and easy keep hitting it, but put a block of wood between the hammer and the surface being hit. I pulled my shafts the same way as you are doing just two nights ago it works just pull straight out on the shaft while hitting it. Just for the record the nut on the shaft is a 36mm you may have better luck taking the nut off first. Good luck.:patriot: :passgas:

Take one of the three 12pt bolts you removed from the backside of the unit hub and put it back in place about 3-4 turns. Hit it with the big hammer. Move the bolt to another hole and do the same. You should see the unit hub and the axle shaft start to come out. Once it starts to come out it gets easier.

NOTE: the bolt will be ruined and you will need to replace it.

Thanx for that tip. I just ended up using a MUCH bigger hammer. When I do the other side I'll use your method but with a socket& an old rachet then hammer.

'Nother quick question. Doin the axle shaft u-joints w/the ball joint press and I can get the cap I'm pushing on w/the press recessed a little bit but after that happens the cap on the opposing side breaks off and no more movement.

Any ideas?

Back