• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

on board air with stock 90 AC compressor?

RWKHausSupply

NAXJA Forum User
well searched and found info on alot of OBA stuff but nothing really pertaining to this I think.

I have a 1990 and stock AC system. Will the or is the Stock AC compressor usable for OBA? I have cut all the cab sheet metal off and dont care to try and even use the AC ever again, so can I just evac the system then use the stock pump for a air compressor?

Anyone have a diagram of what the typ OBA mech system uses for parts associated with this? I looked at kilby's site but didnt find what I was looking for in a few min and gave up and figure I would have more luck finding what I need for a XJ here.

Thanks

where do you get that style pressure switch with toggle switch and all??

hey rob,

i also have a 1990 with a sanden and i have a wonderful OBA setup. here is what i used.

the air switch was a viair 90102 http://www.viaircorp.com/90100.html (ebay) this switch is connected to the clutch on the sanden and i have a switch in the cab for on/off

i also got an airtank from ebay like this one. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Air-...003QQitemZ130068251545QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

the oiler i got from lowes, and also the reducer fittings. the fittings on the sanden are 3/4" i think, and i reduced them down to 1/4" and used brass pipes for the first 8" or so, which really dissipates the heat. PM me if you want pics.

fills 35's from 12psi to 35psi in 1 minute, 30 seconds, runs an impact long enough to take all lug nuts off, runs an ARB locker non-stop (with regulator...dont want 150psi in your ARB, mines regulated at 90)

-Tim

Last edited:
ebay, home depot, lowes, sears.

thats where i got all my parts.

oiler, brass fittings: lowes
separator/dessicator: sears
air tank, pressure switch: ebay
reducer bushings, elbows, etc: home depot

-Tim

i just cut the stock ac lines that go to the compressor that way you dont need fittings and brass tube for heat as you already have them. I used an inline oiler and small ricer filtre on the intake side with a hose barb and worm clamp and same on the exhaust side.

robertk,

in this pic you can see the pressure switch i used. after talking to a few people who had the pressure switches shown in the cherokeeamerica write-up i decided it would be better to just go with a simple on/off one from viair http://www.viaircorp.com/90100.html which i got on ebay.
DSC00052-1.jpg

here is a pic of the tank that i used, mounted up in the back of the XJ. having a large tank with 150Psi in it, really is helpful. the compressor doesnt have to cycle as much, and it fills tires faster. it is also really awesome haveing the multi-port tank. it was designed for minitrucks to use airbags. the air inlet for the tank is the rear most air line, and there is a drain on the bottom to drain out any oil or water that accumulates in the tank. the top fitting has a pressure guage and the air outlet line to the regulator for the ARB soleniod which is under the rear seat.
DSC00049.jpg

including the tank, but not the air tools, i spend just under $100 with this conversion and it was by far the coolest mod i have done.

I really like you set up. I am about to do this mod as soon as I get some time, my ac condenser is shot so I plan on just converting it to on board air.

ROBERTK said:
so can I just evac the system then use the stock pump for a air compressor?

take in the truck to an ac shop to evac the system, it is illegal and morally wrong to knowinly dump an ODS into the atmosphere, might get some coin too

Cut and pasted from a post i made when I set mine up:

DSCN6030.jpg

The plumbing is basically complete, just need to move the rear line outside the cargo area and mount it. I did a test run and is seems pretty quick but I didnt get any times on filling a tire.
The parts list goes like this;
Intake side:
Kilby supplied bulkhead fitting
Lok-On 3/8 MPT to barb
90* Lok-On 3/8\" barb/MPT
Coil Hose HD 3/8\" Lubricator
Hex adapter 1/2 FPT to 3/8 MPT
Pressure side:
Kilby compressor tube adapters
90* Street Elbow 1/2\"
Lok-On 1/2 FPT to 3/8 barb
Coil Hose HD 3/8\" Coalescing filter
Kilby check valve
2x 90* Street Elbow 3/8\"
Kilby 3\" manifold
Coil Hose 2\" 160psi guage
Kilby adjustable safety releif valve
MaxAir pressure switch 110/135psi
3/8\" tee
4x Lok-On 3/8 MPT to barb
ARB:
1/4\" fittings
pressure regulator to 85psi
ARB solenoid/valve
The intake side has the lubricator mounted dirrectly to the back of the compressor and then the line runs to the factory air box instead of a regular filter. I did this for 2 reasons, to not have a filter to mount and in hope that the air will be cooler than the underhood air temp that a regular filter would be drawing in.
The pressure side has about 41\" of hose between the compressor and the filter, I heard that 36-48\" is an acceptable distance to let the air cool enough to filter properly. The line then goes across the back of the engine compartment to the manifold where it splits to power the air locker and then go back to the rear of the vehicle. Latter I will be adding a line to the front bumper as well as a tank under the rear to help with possibly running air tools and reseating tire beads.

Hope that helps at all

mattyg said:
take in the truck to an ac shop to evac the system, it is illegal and morally wrong to knowinly dump an ODS into the atmosphere, might get some coin too

take a tire pressure guage and put it on the schrader valve on the a/c system. my 1990 was never retro-fitted to R134A and had no pressure in the system. when i took the condenser and all the plumbing out, like 3 drops of green fluid dripped out.

-Tim

mattyg said:

Can you read? Evac is not Dump.. If you look at my occupation, Mechanical designer. That would be mechanical designer for HVAC.

I've used either Parker or Goodyear rubber hose. The line off the compressor to the filter & check valve had the fittings crimped on, everything else was just done with hose clamps.

when i take off the lines from the top of the AC uint that run to the radiator, what do i do th plug them up?

if you want to leave them there, just get some plastic or brass plugs from you local hardware store, but i took mine out with the condenser.
I wonder if you could still utilize the condenser and line to cool the presurized air????
so robert did you finish or are you concentrating on other things at this time?

one hose runs to the front towards the radiator and the otherruns towards a box looking thing mounted on the firewall.

Back