• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OTK steering questions, TRE angles.

TRAILREADYXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all, I am working on building a OTK steering setup on my XJ. I plan on just running an Inverted T since I don't feel like dumping much into the Dana 30. I may even try to use a YJ tie rod I have lying around??? I am aware of moving the TB and sway bar mounts as well as the dead spot inverted T's can have.

What I'm looking for is some type of chart comparing misalignment angles of different TREs. I know the 1ton chevy's are the most praised, but is this for the hi-misalignment, or purely for strength? (tapering holes is not a problem)

I know the dodge TREs have the same taper as the XJ, but do they operate at any steeper of an angle?

Are there any other ends with more misalignment that I could be looking at?

Or would I be better off using Heims with hi-misalignment spacers?

I really only need a high angle joint at the pitman arm with this setup. How many have run a heim with the spacers at the pitman arm? I am kinda concerned with a single sheer joint here, but don't know if I really need to be since many bolt on systems use them.

My Jeep is not a DD, but I will drive it every so often on the highway in bad weather and of course to and from trails (sometimes a few hours each way to URE, Tellico, etc....) . I am aware heims wear faster, that is not a concern but safety is.

Thanks

I've run two OTK setups, one both a D30 and a D44, and I still use the factory TRE at the pitman arm. It has quite a bit of movement, don't know that you would get more out of a rod end with misalignment spacers but you might. I've found the key to making that joint last is to have a slight bend at the top of the drag link to make sure the joint doesn't bottom out.

As far as rod ends over TRE, that argument can go on forever. One thing, from personal experience, is that I've never seen a rod end on a steering link fail, but I've seen numerous TRE's fail.........and a failing joint on a steering link can be bad news depending on when it happens. The point is to regularly check for wear on any system, and don't be afraid to use rod ends.

Goatman said:
I still use the factory TRE at the pitman arm. It has quite a bit of movement, don't know that you would get more out of a rod end with misalignment spacers but you might. I've found the key to making that joint last is to have a slight bend at the top of the drag link to make sure the joint doesn't bottom out.

Thanks for the reply Goatman, Your setup here http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=901858&highlight=steering is exactly what I'm going for. I may just have to copy you using the double adjuster :).
I have considered the stock end. The problem for me is the metric thread.
Did you tap the tube or use inserts? Do you know anyone who sells inserts, or would I need to have some machined from couplers?

I really don't have access to a bender so I'm just trying to get the most travel with a straight draglink. With it mounted on top of the tie rod, I doubt it would be too big of a problem.

I am well aware of the TRE over rod end debate, and am not afraid to do either (or both). I would be using safety washers and such with the rod ends, and I check stuff often anyway. I am just wondering what ends have a higher misalignment.

ES2026R and ES2027L. 30* of motion.

tre_30.jpg

cal said:
ES2026R and ES2027L. 30* of motion.

Great, I searched for a while for the angle for those chevy ends with no luck. Thanks, now I have more to compare to.
I may use these since you can get them anywhere, but I still haven't ruled out heims or adapting a stock end.

Back