• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

instrument panel lights....WTF?

Gil BullyKatz

NAXJA Forum User
Well...

They were working before I took apart the steeering column to fix the wobbly tilt steering...

Now they work when I use the remote starter, but as soon as I use the key and touch the brake, they go off.

Fuse are ok.

Headlights work.

cig lighter and clock work.

and again, they light up when I use the remote starter.

What could I have possibly screwed up during the steering column fix or is it possibly unrelated?

:dunno:

Have you been messing around with any wires in the rear hatch recently?

I found a wire unplugged in my rear hatch, I plugged it in and my dash/taillights stopped working and caused the fuse to blow.

Unplugged the wire and put in a new fuse, problem solved...

Just a thought, but this doesnt sound like your problem.

5-90 said:
Gil, you should know better than that...

Ya... I should've

'88 4.0 with aw4

Can I reiterate how much getting access to the 4 reverse torx bolts and tightening them inside the steering column is a PIA?

:D

Problem fixed.

I noticed my tailights were off when the dash lighting was off as well...

Checked the fuse for the tail lights and voila! Problem solved!

I still find it odd that everything worked when remotely started but as soon as my foot touched the brake they died...

I don't think I even want to know what kind of wiring was done to install the remote start!

The remote starter for the lights must be hooked in after the fuse and is supplying power to the lights when on... but when the remote starter is off (driving around) there is no power going to the wire so it won't illuminate them...

Back