• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel smell?

MrMom

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I have a 96 4.0 ...getting high on the trail inside the cab I am getting gas fumes can not seem to locate it
everything under the hood is dry and everything around the tank seems dry
am I missing a vent somewhere. seems more evedent on a full tank

A leaky fuel injector would do that. The fuel evaporates very fast on a hot/warm engine. Leave it running and inspect the injectors/fuel lines

Check all the tank vent lines, and the connections at the charcoal canister. The vent lines push in to the top of the tank, and you can just barely reach them with the tank in. You might be able to use a little mirror to check up there.

Make sure that you check the injectors and fuel lines while the vehicle is running, because leakage will evaporate so fast.

Get underneath and look very closely at the tank (get out that mirror again). Look for signs of leakage near the top, because sometimes accumulated crud will eat holes in the top of the tank, and it won't leak unless it is very full, or sloshing. But it will smell all the time.

Matthew Currie said:
Check all the tank vent lines, and the connections at the charcoal canister.

X2. We had the same problem on rare occasions, and the AZ DEQ smog testers found it for me at this year's checkup. The main fuel vent hose from the canister to the hardline going back to the tank had rotted and cracked, and I missed it from a visual inspection (took a pressure test to point it out).

Replaced it, no smell since.

something else to check is the rubber at the fuel filler connection to the tank.
I get fuel leaking out the top of the tank in the MJ if I fill it all the way up and then tip it too far.
I've been too lazy to drop the tank and replace it.

Back