• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rattling sound in the tailgate

Shermerrr

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, I'm a complete noob and I have a question. Over the summer I bought a 99 Jeep Cherokee Classic. Lately I've noticed a rattling sound coming from the tailgate. I don't know what it is and was wondering if anyone else has had this problem or knows of a way to fix the rattling sound. Thanks.

exhaust?

could be the exhaust clamp smacking your leaf spring. Do you have a rear wiper motor? If so, they have been known to become loose.

try opening the liftgate and shaking it up and down rapidly that should tell ya if its coming from the door if not look at the exaust right at the back where the tailpipe ends see if its hittin the spring

I don't know about a 99 but on my 86 the 3 torx bolts that hold on the locking mechanism on the lift gate can loosen up causing it to rattle.

i have a similar rattle from the tailgate/hatch area of my 01. it definitly sounds like it's coming from the latch area. i havnt got around to checking mine yet, but that's the first place i'd check.

:piratefla

I also have a rattle in the back somewhere. (98 Classic) Happens over bumps and seems to be coming from the right rear. I've gone over every bolt, checked the jack, spare tire mounting etc, and moved the tailgate up and down quickly to try to find it.

My next move is to get in the back while my buddy drives around...i think i can narrow the location and go from there. Also, what is under the back package storage area? Does the carpet come up?

brak said:
i have a similar rattle from the tailgate/hatch area of my 01. it definitly sounds like it's coming from the latch area. i havnt got around to checking mine yet, but that's the first place i'd check.

:piratefla

Could the latch be loose inside but still function and appear ok from the outside?

I had a rattle in the back of mine for a while. It was buggin the crap outta me. Found out my speaker had come loose, and was rattling betwix my tailgate and the cover. Screwed the speakes in tight, and no more rattles.

Check the interior liftgate panel (the one that covers the lower half). I'm 99.9% sure that's was rattling on my 87 as it is loose. Probably will end up with a duct tape fix.

I have a rattle in my 01 that makes noise when I accelerate and soemtimes when I brake...also, when I go over bumps. It sounds like it is coming from under the rear bench. I have the bench out, most of the trim off, and I still can't find it. I have checked underneath as well. Any ideaS?

I have a 97 ....2 12 inch subs in the back ...only one rattle ...it was the tailgate latch ...on the outside ...RTV silicone around the outer edge of the latch assembly ...no rattles ...even with 2 12's pounding !!!! Hope you find the rattle .....

sometimes the little clips that hold the rear bench seat in an upright position start to rattle or squeak as they wear. try wrapping a piece of ductape arount the posts and then re latching the seat upright. also i had an expierienge in a zj where the honeycomb inside the cat had broken up and began rattleing inside there. that took a while to figure out. good luck.

GScott said:
I also have a rattle in the back somewhere. (98 Classic) Happens over bumps and seems to be coming from the right rear. I've gone over every bolt, checked the jack, spare tire mounting etc, and moved the tailgate up and down quickly to try to find it.

My next move is to get in the back while my buddy drives around...i think i can narrow the location and go from there. Also, what is under the back package storage area? Does the carpet come up?

I have the same rattle in the rear passenger area of my 01, it sounds like it is coming from behind the inside rear pannel. I've decided this after going over everything in the rear suspension and retourqueing and adjusting everything. Turning up the radio will only mask the problem and not point out any issue. Is there anything behind this rear cover? I know I have an exhaust rattle but it is a much different sound.

i always hear squeeking bed noises but faster from the ass end of mine. its probally just the hatch rubbing on the unibody as it shakes from the unbalenced tires or the super stiff suspension.

Back