• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bizarre Starting Issue

NeXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hi - If I could get some thoughts on this issue it would REALLY help out, guys. My 92 XJ (w/98 HO engine) was recently taken off ice (in storage for 1.5 yrs with a messed up clutch slave). I was lazy and sent it in the local mech. Strangely - the alternator (a really expensive nice H.O. one) needed replacement too after only 10K miles (and the storage, of course!). So fine - I ponied up 14 bills to do all that and a new hydraulic master and some other misc. work.

So anyway - all is great for a week or two - and after my first desert trek (freeway only - no wheeling) I get back to L.A. and my next startup the next AM - I BARELY get a crank. But what's weird - is that the starter just BARELY turns it over and over a period of about 30-45 seconds - it starts turning it over faster and faster until it kicks in and starts up. All other running operations are generally fine. Once it's going. So - I ended up having to start it this way about 5-6 times yesterday without a problem... disconcerting as it was.

So- I'm wondering what the heck could be going on here. I'm also getting a check engine light. I suppose I should run the codes. It's just been awhile - if memory serves correctly - I twiddle the ignition from off to accessory position three times (min) and then hold something (??) and read the number of times the light flashes on and off to get the 2 digit code? Can someone remind me?

Anyone EVER had anything like this before? What do you think? Weird ground issue? Bad sensor? Bad relay?

If you can think of ANYTHING at ALL - please let me know...!!

thanks much
Jonathan

check your connectoins positve and negitave first... had a honda car that took a while to turn over found out that the contact area between th started case and the bell houseing was all corided...

duh. Found out it actually WAS the battery. Man! It didn't seem like a battery like symptom though... oh well. But I have to say - "hat's off" to pep boys. It was a red top optima I bought from them three years ago - I had no receipt of any kind - or any proof of purchase. They replaced it free of charge! Color me impressed.

Back